New to Linux & Puppy - Looking for a small but good vers

Booting, installing, newbie
dbz

New to Linux & Puppy - Looking for a small but good vers

#1 Post by dbz »

Hi guys,

I'm entirely new to Linux and Puppy Linux - no previous experience whatsoever. In fact, so far I'm still trying to decide which is the best version of Puppy for me. Currently I'm running Win 98 SE with 128 MB RAM, but I've come across some really cool looking Linux programs I'd like to try out. That led me to ultimately finding Puppy Linux.

So here's my situation. I'd like to run Puppy straight off the CD and in RAM only (elminating the need for the Hard Drive entirely). I've read that older versions don't let you choose where to save things, that it's automatically done. At which version did Puppy become multi-session and allow you complete control as to where to save everything?

In short - I just want a version that allows me to save my files wherever I choose, can run in 128 MB RAM, has a nice looking interface, and has a minimal amount of programs 'installed' - so that I can choose programs I'd like to use instead of being forced to use what's already there, and finally is a relatively recent version (without that many bugs).

If anyone knows of such a version could they please let me know. So far I'm a little overwhelmed with all the ones out there: barebones, mean puppy, meaty puppy, lite puppy, empty crust, optimized, etc...

Those are a couple I think might fit the bill, but I haven't tried any of them yet, and a couple are version 1.xx

Please help me if you can.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

you can save files anywhere you like, as long as you can mount and unmount the file systems ... it's just that multisession Puppy automatically mounts the boot cd or dvd and automatically saves your data and the operating system's configuration to the disc

PaulBx1

#3 Post by PaulBx1 »

Get the latest version, 2.11. Don't worry, there is no bloat to worry about. :D Save your stuff multisession (on CD) or on a flash drive, if you want to stay off the hard drive.

Puppy is the best linux shelter for Windows refugees.

raffy

iPup

#4 Post by raffy »

Given your 128 MB RAM and no hard disk, this should be right for you: http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=12273

It is based on 2.11. At shutdown time, you will be asked where to save your files, so decide by that time if you would prefer a USB flash drive or CD/DVD (in a rewritable drive).

Puppy became multisession since 1.06. Note that it is optimized for DVD, so you get a display of errors when using a CD-RW. In versions 1.06+, files are not successfully saved in plain CD-RW drive, but in versions 2+, files are saved successfully in CD-RW drive despite the errors. A DVD-R/CD-RW combo is therefore the least hardware recommended for multisession.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].