I installed Puppy on a USB3 external SSD!

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
TJK

I installed Puppy on a USB3 external SSD!

#1 Post by TJK »

Recently I bought an external usb3 solid state hard drive (SSD). It took a while to find out how to get the transfer rate up to normal speeds -- it works when I upgraded to the new 3.15 kernel.

I've decided that I would like to install PL on this SSD so I have a portable Linux. And I noticed that Saucy 5.8 has the kernel 3.15 that I need! :) So burned the iso onto a CD, and used the USB install (for flash drive) to get it onto my device. But there's problems with this release:
1) there's no package installer (is that intended?)
2) the biggest problem is that the USB installer makes a lot of partitions, I would prefer at most two partitions and no SWAP partition - I have 8Gig RAM (or point it to my int hd swap part). Can I do this?

Otherwise, Puppy worked fine. Boot time was only a few seconds and apps started in a flash. (There were some problems using Xorgwizard - but if I just left it as it initially installed everything was fine.)

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Try doing this with a main stream version of Puppy.

Slacko 5.7 is the latest.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90489

Saucy 5.8 is a derivative version of Puppy and it may not have everything in it.

Puppy will use a swap wherever it finds one.

Run this from a live CD or USB of a normal version of Puppy.
Use Gparted to setup partitions on USB SSD.
Then use Puppy Universal Installer to install Puppy.
It should offer to use the partition setup you already have.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

TJK

#3 Post by TJK »

I took a look at Slacko 5.7 and it's default kernel is 3.10, which means that my external SSD will be VERY slow (abt 5m/sec) -- it's 300m/sec with v. 3.15, that's why I chose Sausy 5.8.

Now if you know that I can upgrade the kernel to 3.15, then I'll give it a try... but in my experience that's not possible.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Slacko 6 beta2 is in development.

I left a message about you needing kernel 3.15 for the developer to consider.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 248#789248

At present Slacko 6 is using kernel 3.4.94

He may decide to update the kernel.

You know more about what the kernel is doing for you than I do, but I would still try Slacko 5.7.

It may just be the way the kernel was setup that gives you the speed.
01micko, the developer of Slacko Puppy, would like to know about the need, anyway.

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

The problems you are having with Saucy 5.8 I would bring up in the topic for Saucy 5.8.
The developer needs to know about this.

I think he trimmed it down too much.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

666philb

#6 Post by 666philb »

hi TJK ,

with the newer build puppies it is easy to change the kernel.
either grab the new slacko beta suggested by bigpup http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94328
or tahrpup http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93998

then grab the 3.15.4 kernel from here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k4asicw8vfgz ... rnels-huge

unzip the kernel.tar.gz and copy the vmlinuz & zdrv.sfs over the ones in the install folder/location
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

neerajkolte

Fatdog64 with kernel 3.15.1

#7 Post by neerajkolte »

Hi TJK,

Please see HERE for Fatdog64-631 repacked (not remastered)iso with devx included total @ 500mb
kernel is latest stable 3.15.1.

Also see HERE for kernel source .sfs.

All the thanks to user @stemsee for making them.

Hope this helps you.

- Neeraj
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

TJK

Re: Fatdog64 with kernel 3.15.1

#8 Post by TJK »

neerajkolte wrote:Hi TJK,
Please see HERE for Fatdog64-631 repacked (not remastered)iso with devx included total @ 500mb
kernel is latest stable 3.15.1.
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggests...

Neeraj, I decided to install the Fatdog64 that you suggested. I liked everything about it -- even an option to use a non-journaled Ext4.

One big problem, when quitting Fatdog64 I was given several options:
1) I was presented the root password and I chose to change it to one of my own.
2) I was given the option of various systems -- I chose non-journaled ext4 and I checked encrypted
3) I was asked to enter password for encryption
I think that was it...It powered down without incident.

Here's the problem, when I boot the computer into FatDog (using the USB bios option), FP does not locate the USB SSD!! I tried saving and quitting FP in different ways and same result. Anyone have a suggestion on how I can get FatDog64 to find the USB (and saved data)?

gcmartin

#9 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @TJK

Here's another suggestion for a distro which provides the kernel you suggest in a Puppy that contains package management as you desire. It is quite new in the community and comes to the community with a different approach for use. This, EmSeeV2, is a distro that should work on your 64bit system with USB3 on Motherboard. Follow this procedure here for the latest kernel and boot the ISO. Any problems you incur, post them on that thread.

For ease of use and package management for your motherboard
Also, pay close attention to the forum as Slacko64 is going to be forth coming soon. It, IMHO, will be one of the, if not the, easiest 64bit Puppy distro with very clever "ease of use" built-in. This is being created, from the ground up, using the new Puppy build system and some new utilities builtin for Puppy operation, yet.

Hope this addresses your needs. Choose from here or other prior posts in this thread.

neerajkolte

#10 Post by neerajkolte »

Hi TJK,

I took the liberty and posted your problem in Fatdog64 thread, a more knowledgeable person will answer there.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I am just a noob (using Linux for 4 months only)

- Neeraj.
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

stemsee

#11 Post by stemsee »

@TJK

Is that saucy from my stable? Just open a terminal and type ppm for package manager! Or find it in the setup menus. It is definitely there.

neerajkolte

#12 Post by neerajkolte »

Hi TJK,

Have you solved the problem?
- Ken Thompson

- Amara’s Law.

puppyluvr

#13 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
I have been using Upup Raring with kernel 3.9.9 for a long while now and its very stable. Moreso than my own kernels. Top notch work. And Ubuntu repo compatible.
Now, if you are single core Ive got a few 1000hz pae kernels that blaze! Just saying..
Or try my sqez5.3.6.5 iso from my link.
Its a debian vanilla pup with a 3.6.5 1000hz kernel.
Only for single core though...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...