Difficult apostrophe in 1.0.3: keyboard bug?

Please post any bugs you have found
Mechsus

Difficult apostrophe in 1.0.3: keyboard bug?

#1 Post by Mechsus »

I

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Do you have a different keyboard you can try, just to eliminate the possibility that it is the keyboard? Or, if you are running Windows on the computer, does the KB work OK in that? Or some other live CD of Linux, say DSL?

Rich

#3 Post by Rich »

definitely sounds like a mechanical problem with the Keyboard.
They can be stripped down and cleaned though. Just undo all the screws and then clean the contacts under the switches with Methylated Spirit and a cloth.
Never fails

dvw86

#4 Post by dvw86 »

Sounds to me like you picked the wrong keyboard configuration. I would guess that you chose Latin-UTF8 instead of the US layout when Puppy first boots. Try running the keyboard wizard again and see what you get.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

dvw86 wrote:Sounds to me like you picked the wrong keyboard configuration. I would guess that you chose Latin-UTF8 instead of the US layout when Puppy first boots. Try running the keyboard wizard again and see what you get.
Latin keyboards require bashing? :lol:

Rich

#6 Post by Rich »

Latin is an ancient language, often found embossed or carved in stone.
To facilitate it's entry into the 'jet age' the keyboards were designed to require the same force as the sculptor would need to carve the stone tablets. This did however lead to an alarming increase in broken fingers at the local casualty department, so was quickly replaced by the more familiar QWERTY soft touch keyboards we know and love today .

Mechsus

#7 Post by Mechsus »

Sounds to me like you picked the wrong keyboard configuration.
Nope. I always choose the US layout, and my keyboard works fine in #indows. Iĺl try changing the keyboard.

#8 Post by Guest »

If it works in Windows, or any other OS, then the keyboard probably isn't the problem. Try Puppy 1.0.4 and see if the problem persists.

Mechsus

#9 Post by Mechsus »

If it works in Windows, or any other OS, then the keyboard probably isn't the problem. Try Puppy 1.0.4 and see if the problem persists.
The problem occurs in 1.0.3 and 1.0.4.
It

Mechsus

#10 Post by Mechsus »

Excuse me: I meant to say #indows... :oops:

kjl13

trouble with the apostrophe

#11 Post by kjl13 »

I just downloaded 1.0.7 mozilla and I too am having problems with the apostrophe. I haven't noticed any other problems with the keyboard--just that I can't get an apostrophe to appear and get a little bleep when I hit the apostrophe key.

kethd

#12 Post by kethd »

I have no info about the Puppy apostrophe issue.

However, Puppy has long had a problem with the CAPS LOCK behaving weirdly. Which turns out to be associated with Xvesa video mode. Xorg video in Puppy 1.0.7 seems free of this problem. So whatever weird keyboard issues you are having, try Xorg and see if they go away!

(The apostrophe stuff described above reminds me of how Windows works if you pick an international keyboard, that thinks you want to accent various letters, so it makes you type apostrophe multiple times to specify that you want one by itself.)