How to access Windows files from Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
meanland22

How to access Windows files from Puppy?

#1 Post by meanland22 »

How Do I get Files and folders from Windows XP and put them onto puppy linux? I am running puppy linux on my windows xp machine,so how do I mount a CD-ROM onto puppy linux while running windows xp. I can't seem to mount any CD-ROM onto puppy linux,when running windows xp with puppy linux on it.

WhoDo

Re: windows and puppy linux

#2 Post by WhoDo »

meanland22 wrote:How Do I put Files and folders from Windows XP and put them onto puppy linux? Iam running puppy linux on my windows xp machine,so how do I mount a CD-ROM onto puppy linux while running windows xp. I can't seem to mount any CD-ROM onto puppy linux,when running windows xp with puppy linux on it.
Ok, now that's much easier to follow.

You cannot mount a CD-ROM in Puppy while you have Windows XP actually running. At that time Puppy exists only as 3 files in your Windows XP directories.

You don't need to have Windows XP running to be able to use the CD-ROM on your Windows XP machine. Simply boot into Puppy, click the "drives" icon on the desktop and mount the CD-ROM drive. The CD you want to access must be in the drive when you attempt to mount it, so put that in first.

BTW (by the way), all of your questions on this subject should be in the one thread. Pick the thread you started and use "Post a reply" to add further comment, or choose "Quote" from a message to quote their reply in your new post.

Hope this helps

meanland22

running puppy without windows xp.

#3 Post by meanland22 »

how do I boot into puppy without widows xp running? Remember I did not boot puppy from a CD-ROM or USB(I downloaded into My Documents in windows xp and then booted puppy using the puppy.bat file.

WhoDo

Re: running puppy without windows xp.

#4 Post by WhoDo »

meanland22 wrote:how do I boot into puppy without widows xp running? Remember I did not boot puppy from a CD-ROM or USB(I downloaded into My Documents in windows xp and then booted puppy using the puppy.bat file.
Remember? I don't believe you mentioned that you booted Puppy from a batch file inside XP? That's the missing piece of the puzzle! :roll:

What you need to do is to install Puppy properly (ie from the LiveCD), or boot it from your batch file and create a wakepup boot floppy so you can boot Puppy without running XP. That should solve most of your problems. ;)

With Puppy running, the wizard to create a boot floppy is under Setup on the menu.

Hope that helps.