Using Mplayer to play TV from TV tuner card

Using applications, configuring, problems
vientito

Using Mplayer to play TV from TV tuner card

#1 Post by vientito »

Tv tuner card is saa7134. using latest 2.12 beta with latest 2.18 kernel and its drivers.

mplayer version is 1.0.8 got thru dotpup. seems to be the latest version also.

I am able to display TV signal on driver v4l. However, when i try specifying v4l2, mplayer complains that it does not know the driver at all.
----------------------------------

Playing tv://28.
No such driver: v4l2

------------------------------------

working with v4l, i have no audio from the tuner card. I am not sure why. but something i notice is that the current set of drivers compiled with this puppy version have explicitly left out saa7134-alsa and saa7134-oss. these two modules probably just try to accomplish DMA transfer from the tuner sound facility. I think it has nothing to do with what i am seeing. "no audio" probably is a symptom displayed using v4l compatibility module in lieu of the true v4l2 modules.

lsmod gives me v4l2-common. is this the v4l2 module that i need? How come mplayer does not acknowledge the presence of such driver? Is it because the mplayer version has not had v4l2 facility compiled in?

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

Which MPlayer dotpup are you using?
Mark Ulrich compiled this one - mplayer108.pup
and I compiled this one - MPlayer-1.0p8-xvmc.pup
If you're using mine, you will see that I mentioned the V4L problem in the announcement of this dotpup http://www.murga.org/users/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9568
When I used the compile options "--enable-tv-v4l --enable-tv-v4l2" the compilation failed. So I had to disable V4L/V4L2 support.
I have since discovered that mplayer will only compile V4L support if it finds the correct device nodes (/dev/videoxx) so next time I will have to install a tuner card, or just create these nodes prior to compilation.

But since you have limited success, maybe you could just try loading the module with the extra parameter "alsa=1" ;

rmmod saa7134
modprobe saa7134 alsa=1

I believe that the "saa7134-alsa" module is deprecated.
And since V4L support is not good in my version of MPlayer (and probably not Mark's either) I suggest you use some other application altogether. What about Xine?
Or XawTV - http://linux.bytesex.org/xawtv/
XawTV includes a utility called v4lctl. This utility might solve your audio problems with this command:

v4lctl

vientito

#3 Post by vientito »

i am using MU's version.

it may be related to the fact that, as u have pointed out, one of the attr might have been muted at the getgo. I wonder how and why the device is to be muted by default.

i think there's a v4lucp that could do a similar job as v4lctl. i am even surprised that this basic utility does not come long with puppy at all.

as an aside, from what i have gathered on the web, it seems that saa7134-alsa and saa7134-oss were there to handle sound signal xfer inside the PCI bus rather than using conventional method of connecting TV tuner card with a soundcard by an external cable. Since i am sticking to using the conventional means, i guess i really don't need to specify the sound driver option on the driver. i dunno yet but i will experiment with that.

Ted Dog

Wait until 2.12

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

I've been playing with my tuner card as well in puppy. My advice the wait. Puppy is undergoing a shift in device management methods, My video devices ( non-HDTV ) did get setup in beta versions of 2.12, past versions it was not.
Try using xine, it seems to take a Uber compiler (person) to get mplayer configured, and compiled for the masses.
The version of Muppy correctly decoded my HD recording (had to use GeexBox to record)

vientito

#5 Post by vientito »

just one final question here: does xine automatically take care of unmuting the device when it plays TV?

MU

#6 Post by MU »

the mplayer in Muppy is the one by tempestous (1.0.8), as it supports xvmc acceleration on some cards.
I think this is better than my dotpup with OpenGL-acceleration, as OpenGL is less common.

Mark

tempestuous

#7 Post by tempestuous »

Yes, MPlayer is quite difficult to compile.
Soon I will try to compile the latest version 1.0rc1 with these improvements -

V4L/V4L2 support
Vesa video support (not Xvesa)
mpdvdkit DVD drivers
better gui

And now that I have a slightly more modern nVidia graphics card to test with, I want to confirm that XvMC video acceleration works, too.

Regarding OpenGL, this is a great feature for certain multimedia applications, especially games ... but NOT MPlayer. According to MPlayer's own documentation at http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/output-trad.html

"8.2.8. OpenGL output
MPlayer supports displaying movies using OpenGL, but if your platform/driver supports xv as should be the case on a PC with Linux, use xv instead, OpenGL performance is considerably worse."

The optimum video output setting for MPlayer is "xv" which is possible with Xorg. Xvesa does not support "xv".

tempestuous

#8 Post by tempestuous »

vientito and Ted Dog,
TV input features should be fixed in new MPlayer 1.0rc1 version http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13216