Help Installing 2.12beta to HDD with one type 83 partition

Booting, installing, newbie
wb0gaz

Help Installing 2.12beta to HDD with one type 83 partition

#1 Post by wb0gaz »

Hello,

I am trying to install puppy-2.12beta-seamonkey.iso onto a very plain-vanilla machine (AMD 1 GHz, 30G ATA internal HDD, 512M RAM). The machine will be dedicated to puppy for this purpose; there is nothing else on the hard drive (although the hard drive and machine had a previous life...)

I have created the CDROM from the above ISO and I can boot the CD on several machines without difficulty; on the target machine the Xorg/mouse configuration works fine and there are no unusual messages during startup.

In preparation for installation, I have cleared all partitions from the hard drive (which is on /dev/hda) using fdisk, and after having problems, I also tried clearing partitions using:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1024 count=1

followed by creating a single root partition using fdisk, 5000 blocks, type 83.

When I boot the puppy CDROM I am entering no command line options; there is no additional USB device (thumb drive, etc.) involved at any point.

Now I proceed to /usr/sbin/puppyinstaller and while it appears to find /dev/hda1 (where I want to install), it is also giving error messages in the console window about ntfs partition not found and so on. Ignoring these messages, it gets as far as offering to set up GRUB (which I want), but GRUB install fails with a dialog box indicating it can't mount /dev/hda1 read-write.

It appears others have succeeded, so I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I am puzzled about the unexpected references to NTFS (the machine doesn't have any NTFS partitions; there is only one hard drive and it has only the one partition noted.)

Help ?!?

Thanks,

Dave
wb0gaz@hotmail.com

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Try GParted, see what it reports about the hard drive.

Gn2

#3 Post by Gn2 »

dd overwrote any previous partition tables: In which case No low level partition tool will find any data.
= It no longer exists. > There is no MBR

Perhaps the scripted method used by Puppy installer is confused in method used to assess then handle device probe results.

Does v2.12 require a table to procede ?
In that case did you pre-format for file system type.
Which to use is user preference, I.E. Ext2/3 or Reiserfs.
The install cannot write to the drive - since there is no file system to mount

AFAIK The only time a write is possible (sans a file system) - occurs to a boot sector -
I.E. to install a boot loader; The initial byte read instructions for BIOS

When that is on a floppy- if a mount is attempted - nothing may be seen.
Again - in that situation - there is no file system to mount.

Are you attempting a full liveCD to hard drive install - Have you ruled out a "frugal install" ?
What about a reserved dedicated data partition - or Swap.

If drive large enough, reserving an unallocated portion may be of future advantage.
If a full H/Dr install, a separate Home partition is re-useable to any subsequent alterations or install.
In that manner, valued customizations or Additonal Apps are saved for re-use.

Once partiitoned to satisfaction, may I suggest you use output fdisk -l to store the partition configuration for future reference & safe keeping.

It is all too easy to later modify then forget alterations if/when they are most needed.

HTH

ezeze5000

installing puppy

#4 Post by ezeze5000 »

I open up a console and use CFDISK to create partitions, then i format the drivelike this " mkfs.ext2 /dev/hda1" (or whatever partition you choose to use for puppy)

Then I use the "puppy universal installer" to do the install.
If at first you don't succeed try try again!

wb0gaz

#5 Post by wb0gaz »

Much progress - turns out I had failed to build a filesystem (mkfs.ext2), so once this was done the installer ran to completion. I had grub install on mbr.

---> My feedback to the writers of puppyinstaller (on 2.12) might be to test against the case where there is no partition on the selected hard drive, or the case where there is a partition but no useful filesystem. I think the logic may be giving the errant messages about ntfs and trying to proceed anyway.

Now I have a few condition - my newly created puppy system is looping during bootup with the message:

/usr/X11R7/bin/xwin: line 35: /tmp .... Read-only filesystem

Back to work for me!

Dave

MU

#6 Post by MU »

wb0gaz

#7 Post by wb0gaz »

OK, that fix it!

Thanks very much for all the help, I'm off to the races now...

Dave

MU

#8 Post by MU »

new URL for the Bugfix for 2.11:

http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=12601

Mark