disappearing icons, trash can and lock

Booting, installing, newbie
cindyq

disappearing icons, trash can and lock

#1 Post by cindyq »

Glad to see the Forums back up!

I have Puppy 1.07 installed on a Dell Latitude LS (400 MHz Pentium III 20GB 128MB RAM) using the XP-installer for Puppy 1.0.7 / 1.0.8r1 (http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=5117).

I have three problems - all maybe related.

The other day my desktop icons all disappeared. I managed to put some back but still haven't found how to put back the trash can and lock icons.

Also, before the trash can icon disappeared, the trash can didn't seem to be working. When I attempted to drag a file from the desktop to the trashcan, a question mark icon appeared above the file name on the desktop. I was unable to drag the question mark to the trash can. Now the trashcan icon is completely gone and I can't get rid of anything on my desktop.

Finally, for some reason I have lost the ability to right-click on a desktop file. When I try to reset an icon nothing happens.

Can someone help please?

wow

#2 Post by wow »

You can restore all the desktop icons that comes by default in puppy. There are 2 ways:
1. Copy this file: /.usr_ram/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin to /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/. Restart X to re-read the pinboard.
2. Delete /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin and whatever .wh._PuppyPin. and reboot, puppy will read the file from usr_cram.fs(/.usr_ram/) and the default pinboard(desktop icons) will be back.

dvw86

#3 Post by dvw86 »

Also, before the trash can icon disappeared, the trash can didn't seem to be working. When I attempted to drag a file from the desktop to the trashcan, a question mark icon appeared above the file name on the desktop. I was unable to drag the question mark to the trash can.

That was the way the trash can worked for quite some time. I do not remember what version of Puppy got the updated trash can, but I believe it was after Puppy 1.0.7.

cindyq

thanks for the reply!

#4 Post by cindyq »

Thanks dvw86 and wow.

I deleted /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin as you suggested, wow. That got rid of the files on my desktop that I wanted to send to the trash can. But my old icons never showed up. Which isn't such a problem because I can manually put icons on the desktop but it looks like I'll have to delete root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin whenever there's something on the desktop I want to delete. And I still can't right-click to set up an icon. For some reason right-click functionality has gone away. I wonder if I'll have to reinstall/upgrade Puppy?!

dvw86

#5 Post by dvw86 »

To remove a desktop icon just right click on it and select "remove item". Desktop items are not the files themselves, but shortcuts to the actual items. So in the older versions of Puppy, the Trash would delete the file but the shortcut on the desktop was still there. I wrote a newer version of the Trash can that Barry included in the newer versions of Puppy that will delete the file and remove the desktop icon. You can either upgrade Puppy or just install the newer version of the Trash.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=43702#43702

cindyq

Thank you!

#6 Post by cindyq »

Thank you - I'll try you're suggestion.