Compiling Mutt for Puppy. Problems with "configure"

Using applications, configuring, problems
alasdair

Compiling Mutt for Puppy. Problems with "configure"

#1 Post by alasdair »

Hi I am trying to compile the mail program mutt http://www.mutt.org/ to use in Puppy. However when I type the command

./configure

I get the error

./configure : no such file or directory

Here is some version history to help clarify:

Running Puppy 2.10 Live CD

dev_210.sft installed in /home/mnt according to the instructions here

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Compiling

mutt-1.4.2.2i.tar.gz downloaded and extracted to /root/src/mutt as per instructions on the above wikki page.
The archive extracted ok and looks fine. I read the README and INSTALL files.
I cd to /root/src/mutt and double checked using pwd before invoking the command
"./configure"
to receive the error message detailed above. I replicated the error (several times) tried it with the full path in place of ./
Also I searched around on the net for instructions about the use of the command "configure", and as far as I could see, I was invoking it with the correct syntax and from the correct directory.
This is the first time I have ever tried to compile something, so it could be that I have missed some totally obvious step that is not documented. Or is this an issue with the Puppy file system, or the command "configure". As I understand the file system is slightly different to standard Linux file systems (by necessity), and I have been following advice regarding the command that was designed for distros other than Puppy. I need to add that I don't understand, in depth, what that difference in the file system structure is, or am I misinformed?

thanks in advance for any help.

alasdair

marksouth2000

#2 Post by marksouth2000 »

Code: Select all

# chmod 777 ./configure

Kal

#3 Post by Kal »

I just downloaded mutt-1.4.2.2.tar.gz, untarred it to my downloads folder by just left clicking mutt-1.4.2.2.tar.gz and using xarchive (click Select All and then Extract, go with flow). Opened a terminal in the mutt-1.4.2.2 folder by right click for the menu (Xterm Here). Run ./configure, it ask for a mail location and I added it with --with-mailpath=DIR from the ./configure --help. example:
"./configure --with-mailpath=/root/mail"
Ran "make" and it complied.
I didn't run "make install" because I don't use this program.

Good Luck, Kal

PS: It looks like maybe you didn't use the full name mutt-1.4.2.2.

alasdair

#4 Post by alasdair »

# chmod 777 ./configure
marksouth2000

This worked, I understand that it is a file permissions issue (because of the chmod command), but why did it work?

Just trying to understand so I can apply my understanding in the future and not ask such dumb questions :oops:

alasdair

marksouth2000

#5 Post by marksouth2000 »

It worked because whatever you used to unpack the .tar.gz file didn't preserve the permissions on the individual files. It probably used the default umask instead. Before you did the chmod 777, did all the files (as shown by "ls -l") have the same permissions?

This is a common problem with tools that make things easy, they try to second-guess what one wants to do, and get it wrong half the time.

Note that if you had unpacked the archive with

# tar zxvf mutt_whatever.tar.gz
the permisions would have been fine and ./configure would have worked the first time.

Cheers,
Mark 8)

Gn2

#6 Post by Gn2 »

If I may expand a bit on above:
they try to second-guess what one wants to do
It's seldom the tool to blame - a lack of attention /missing those niggling little details (we ALL overlook)

Man tar - use of (-p ) parameter !
Or - not habitually using a (space and { - } ) to denote use of any parameters (which then are parsed /executed in sequence of comand string. :wink: ))

Or - incorrect string sequence wherein some executable is completed. then program prematurely terminates .

HTH

alasdair

#7 Post by alasdair »

Hi,

I notice that the advice on the wikki page is to use

# tar -xvzf packageName.tar.gz 
which I used. Looking at the man tar page this would have been the same as

-zxvf
to get the result suggested by Mark the string would have to be

-zxvfp

This is what was suggested by Gn2, have I understood this correctly?

Sorry getting slightly off topic here.
I am just trying to broaden my understanding, thanks for all your help and advice. UNIX in a Nutshell is looking better an better as a purchace in the near future.

Alasdair

Gn2

#8 Post by Gn2 »

Correct - I also try to remember - use parameters in order of priority
(seldom will encounter - but "some" command line expansions - may give unexpected results otherwise -
Esp if "piped: to use different commands to act on output of original data !
Example:

whereis google.com :whatis bash :  code :grep  man
Paste that directly into a CLI shell - note results of expansion to parsing of "string of commands"

In most cases - omitting the (space then hyphen) would be a syntax error

You will soon see - often if nothing seems to take place: The command succeded
If unable to complete - some symbol may appear - such as an "progress indicator" revolving, then eventually disappearing.

Be patient - wait for system to give some return clue to screen

O'Reilly Linux tutorial books are very good resources - Esp if can find OVERPRICED.

Thankfully the Web can supply almost any data > free - also manuals/documentations for download

Linux itself has built-in help > the "man" pages
Just type (man whatever_xx_command) - shows default use, options of & sometimes examples
Caveat: Consider them more of a "cheat-sheet" though ~ best in use as an aid to recall seldom used syntax variables

If you Google {keywords} "Linux bash tutorials scripting", many "official" sites will be given

Hint - to save tedious typing of long lines/file names - please play w/use of "wildcards"
That expansion also aids to avoid typo errors

BEFORE getting too creative, never edit system critical settings without first backing up originals
In Puppy you have "root permissions" very convenient -BUT also dangerous
If merely a "user"....... at worst - only own home folders contents will be harmed - since they are allowed access for edits.

In Puppy - even bad mistakes may be "rolled back" to original pristinte state

Other system folders (normal hard drive install) system default permissions may allow read only for non-root users

Please see http://yolinux.com/ for more topics

HTH

Gn2

#9 Post by Gn2 »

D--N ~ sorry for new post -
Only tried to edit a typo - (where is the former delete option now) ?