VIA 8237 chipset - no sound in Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
Muttley

VIA 8237 chipset - no sound in Puppy

#1 Post by Muttley »

I've been trying Puppy out for a "lightweight" system (Asus Terminator 1 C3, 512MB RAM, no HD), and I love it. Unfortunately, I can't get the sound to work. The motherboard uses the VIA 8237 chipset for audio, which is detected by Puppy as (1106:3059), and assigned the viaudiocombo driver. I've turned up the volume in the control panel to max with this driver - nothing. I've also tried unloading this driver (with modprobe -r), then loading the via82cxxx_audio driver - again, nothing.

I know that the soundchip on the motherboard works fine with Linux, because I can get it to work with other distros (e.g., the latest Slax).

Any suggestions? I really like Puppy - but I also really need my sound.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

I've used those drivers with a couple of VIA sound systems and it has been ok.
Anyone else with a VIA problem?

One thing you could try, and I know this seems weird -- plug the speaker jack into the other two audio sockets, see if they work. It seems that some motherboards can programmatically change the assignment of the audio sockets, so microphone input can actually become speaker output!

danleff

#3 Post by danleff »

My via sound is fine.

This board uses AD1888 audio?

VIA 8237 is the sata controller?
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

Muttley

Still no audio...

#4 Post by Muttley »

Well, I've tried the cable switch approach - no luck.

VIA 8237 is the South Bridge - you are indeed correct that the motherboard is using the AD1888 chipset for six-channel sound. Which driver would you suggest using in this scenario?

Many thanks for all your help.

danleff

#5 Post by danleff »

Just a guess on my part. try to modprobe ad1848.

Alternatively, try 1889.

But, just to clarify, you used xtmix to set the volume all the way up on the first audio bar?

What sound have you tried to play?

--Hannibal Smith

Muttley

#6 Post by Muttley »

ad1848 loads, but won't work - xtmix won't even run. ad1889 will not load at all.

I've turned the volume up to max in xtmix' first audio bar. I've tried playing all the sounds in the /usr/share/audio folder, as well as a known-good mp3 file downloaded from the BBC.

Again, many thanks for your help.

danleff

#7 Post by danleff »

From what I have been reading, alsa is supported much better with this sound chip. Standard OSS does not work well w/o a patch. I'm afraid that I can't be much more help here.

--Hannibal Smith

Caraibes

Same problem...

#8 Post by Caraibes »

I also have a Via chipset, with the same number as the first poster. No sound so far... Too bad, because I really enjoy Puppy, I am on 1.03 so far, downloading 1.04.
Great job Barry !!! Thanks for that great OS !!!