fonts in Xvesa look better

Using applications, configuring, problems
andrei

fonts in Xvesa look better

#1 Post by andrei »

I am very much impressed with the high quality of fonts in Puppy 2.12.

I used to run Xvesa, because my laptop computer has resolution 1400x1050 and the menu of xorgwizard does not offer me this resolution.
But I recently discovered that I can use Xorg if I manually edit xorg.conf and replace "1280x1024" with "1400x1050" everywhere. It works fine, except
the fonts look good only for certain values of the size. For example, size 22 looks very beautiful but if I change to size 24 or size 18 then it looks bad; at size 24 letters are fuzzy with colored edges, and at size 18 parts of letters have funny colors.
This is rather inconvenient.

And in Xvesa fonts are very beautiful in all sizes, very impressive!
Is there a good reason why xorgwizard does not offer resolution 1400x1050? Why there is such a big difference between the look of the fonts in Xorg and in Xvesa?

andrei

problem solved

#2 Post by andrei »

It seems that I was able to solve this problem by disabling the rgba sub-pixel hinting.
I am now using Puppy 2.13. I followed the advice on this website: http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/klee ... stall.html
and included the following line in the local.conf file
(which is in /etc/fonts/):

<match target="font">
<edit name="rgba" mode="assign"><const>none</const></edit>
</match>

The other things I have in my local.conf are:

<match target="font">
<edit name="hinting" mode="assign">
<bool>true</bool>
</edit>
</match>

<match target="font">
<test name="weight" compare="more">
<const>medium</const>
</test>
<edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
<bool>false</bool>
</edit>
</match>

The second <match> is to disable the antialiasing for the boldface fonts. The boldface fonts look better without the antialiasing.
It is also possible to install additional fonts in Puppy, the instructions are available here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7111
It is very important to read these instructions carefully, because I first did it wrong and the X would not start. Had to reinstall Puppy.