Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 25 Apr 2014, 05:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Rapid Deployment
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
raffy

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul 2005, 03:14    Post subject:  Rapid Deployment  

This should have been titled "Business Proposition" or "Official Support as A Business", but let me try...

All of us are interested to see that Puppy is adopted as widely as possible. Fine, but that takes logistics and preparation, hardware-wise and software-wise.

Large companies are entrenched in the traditional PC market, and in introducing Puppy to this market, a whole world of problems will surface, so the traditional PC market is not a candidate for rapid deployment.

But the thin-client market is, and one company, NTAVO, has already made a business proposition to members of this forum (see this post http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=1179&start=15 ). You see, selling to this forum is easy, as there will be no sales/support costs, so the vendor can remove a large chunk of the price of the appliance. But what about the rest of the population, the true and large market?

Hardware + Sales/Support = $189++ PC for everyone. This is the business proposition. The value of ++ would depend on your own situation and plan.

Hardware providers (like NTAVO) can rapidly get into global markets through a Puppy "expert" network (such as this forum). It is up to members how to plan the Sales/Support question so everybody (the vendor, the member, and the user) gets benefited.

(But the members have to put their acts together, mind you - imagine the backlash from entrenched players, like, hmmm (please search for the word "antitrust"). Maybe creating a foundation will be a good starting point?)

Hopefully, this new network will have many aces up its sleeve, like the low price, the fast OS, and the rugged hardware (no hard disk). Maybe the network can find good lawyers to swatter away the unfriendly entities...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul 2005, 09:46    Post subject:  

My first reaction was that you are getting way ahead of things, but now I think maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to think and prepare for the day that Puppy becomes succesful enough to attract the unwelcome attention of competitors and predators.

Barry's doing nearly all the work of developing Puppy. I get the impression he's capable of dealing with whatever legal or business problems might crop up for him, but he could be overwhelmed. I'll help out in whatever small way I can.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul 2005, 18:00    Post subject:  

In order to finance some of the projects suggested by Steve here:

http://www.nata2.info/humor/flash/switchlinux3.swf
Cool
it is certainly worth considering some plan

What is your Puppy Plan?

This is Ians
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/ConnoisseurPage

? Rolling Eyes

Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]