USB key upgrade not working

Please post any bugs you have found
nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

USB key upgrade not working

#1 Post by nduanetesh »

When trying to upgrade my USB key from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2RC, the script would make it up to step four, when it would exit with:

mount: Mount /dev/sda1 on /mnt/flash failed: No such device.

Then it gave me "something is wrong, press Enter to exit". Now, I know /dev/sda1 is correct because it's the only usb key partition the script showed in step 3. And I know that /mnt/flash is there because I checked it in Rox. I even renamed /mnt/flash and created a new /mnt/flash, but that didn't help either. Anybody have any ideas about what's going on? Anybody else get the same error?

So, I did a manual upgrade and puppy fired up and ran beautifully...for a while. Just tonight, though, when I booted up the key, I got a series of USB related error messages (which went by too fast to write down), and then X started, but with no menus and nothing in the task bar. I switched around between window managers, and each of them would start OK, but none had menus or anything in the task bar. So, I booted into Windows and deleted the pup100 file, and puppy rebooted perfectly. So, I'm pretty sure my pup100 file became corrupted somehow...but I have no idea how, because I didn't have any crashes or improper unplugs or anything...

any thoughts?

ND

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

There was another post recently about that.
Yes, install-usb.sh script is currently broken, as 2.6 kernel doesn't support umsdos. Tonight I will modify the script, remove all reliance on umsdos.