What password for login? (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
John Doe

What password for login? (Solved)

#1 Post by John Doe »

I get almost all the way through booting and get a bunch of errors like this:

"cannot create directory '/root/.mozilla' Invalid Argument"

Then it asks me for my password. What is my password?

I tried to just hit enter, but that doesn't work. Is there some sort of default login? Everything I read says, "you're just logged in as root". I don't see anything in FAQ about logging in for the first time.

klhrevolutionist

specific

#2 Post by klhrevolutionist »

are you talking about starting up mozilla or firefox or puppy
be more specific and your answer will be here waiting on you
if your talking about puppy there is no login just try startx
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

John Doe

#3 Post by John Doe »

I'm still trying to puppy going. I'm working off a USB device and a floppy. I got the floppy to recognize the location and puppy begins to start up. I go through a bunch of Linux type start up then at the end I get about 20 errors like I mentioned (I just used the mozilla directory as an example). Then it tells me it has to wait for 60 seconds and then asks me for a password, like it would in redhat (minus the Login prompt, it goes straight to the password prompt).

I'm wondering if the format of my usb device is wrong. I've tried both FAT and FAT32 and get the same thing. Does cluster size matter? The problem seems to be that Puppy can't create all of it's files for some reason. It does create quite a few. For instance the USB now has ARCHIVE, CALENDAR, CHOICES, GHTTPD...etc...

Thanks for any help, I'm stumped.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

This is a common problem usually denoting a faulty download.

The usual cure is to check the ISO md5sum (that verifies the download) and burn at a slower speed which produces a more reliable burn

:)

Hope that helps
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

John Doe

#5 Post by John Doe »

I ran md5sum and the download is ok. I'm not actually burning it to a cd, just extracting the files for my USB device.

I'll try a cd real quick and see what happens. Thanks for the thoughts.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

From previous posts describing the same problem which were resolved, the most likely cause is a corrupt pup001 file somewhere, either on your hard drive or USB drive, which Puppy is seeing when it tries to boot. Can you boot option 2 (No HD)? If so, you can then mount your various drives and partitions and look for a pup001 file. If you find it, delete it and then your password problem should be gone.

John Doe

IT WORKS

#7 Post by John Doe »

I actually JUST got it going.

The answer is in here. My error looks EXACTLY like the screen in that thread ("second screen shot").

What they discussed after it, go it cleared up.

Thanks all for all the suggestions. This thing is great. I've got a new issue, but I'll save it for the next thread (assuming I don't find it searching, like I should have before). The screen shots make it tougher to search for, but nice once I got there.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Thank you, for posting the solution to your problem when you found it. :)