Upgrade a puppy version is possible?

Booting, installing, newbie
Garret

Upgrade a puppy version is possible?

#1 Post by Garret »

I am italian and recently i have discovered this beatiful distro but i have a question

If i have the current release and tomorrow will be release a new version, can i upgrade or i have to redownload the distro and reconfigure all?

And can i upgrade the dotpup packets?

WhoDo

Re: Upgrade a puppy version is possible?

#2 Post by WhoDo »

Garret wrote:I am italian and recently i have discovered this beatiful distro but i have a question

If i have the current release and tomorrow will be release a new version, can i upgrade or i have to redownload the distro and reconfigure all?

And can i upgrade the dotpup packets?

You will still need to download the new version of the distro BUT you will NOT need to reconfigure your settings.

When you attempt to install a newer version over an old version, Puppy gives you an Upgrade option that lets you preserve your existing setup, as far as possible.

All dotpups can be loaded over the top of existing ones, but often it is better to use the Pupget package manager (Install icon on your desktop) to uninstall the old version first, just to ensure the newer files are written to the system.

Hope that helps
Last edited by WhoDo on Thu 30 Nov 2006, 03:09, edited 2 times in total.

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

often it is better to use the Wget package manager (Install icon on your desktop) to uninstall the old version first, just to ensure the newer files are written to the system.
Actually, that's the "Pupget" package manager. Wget is a cli app for downloading things (very useful too, and it has a "resume" function).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Gn2

#4 Post by Gn2 »

Wget -As Pizza has timely noted : Is a very good Linux Dwnld. utility, default included in most shipped Linux Distros:

When any server requests - "passive" logins - Wget can automatically accomodate, use that mode..
If I may suggest , more/enhanced functions are available when a "front-end" utility, such as Prozilla is employed.

Benefits to use of WGET - many (Esp Redmond) browsers have a nasty tendency to corrupt downloads -
> E.G. Renaming the files &/or altering permissions.

Wget (should be) > is the default Linux browser behaviour when "save- to" is chosen.

Few -if any - downloader utilities "recursively" parse lower sub-folders.
Some - such as Proz - may be Cfg'd. to search out - log onto alternate mirrors.

To get back to original thoughts RE "upgrading" etal -
Puppy is unique in ability to save old, & side-by-side accept new
versions of, both the basics of the O/System - and any additional features.

Should any mistakes need Post- hard_drive install (frugal) corrections :
Merely save old Cfg - then start a new session.
All may be "rolled-back" to pristine state.

HTH

Garret

#5 Post by Garret »

Where is this upgrade function?

And if it's better to uninstall and then install new dotpup i don't los the old configurations of these programs?

And how i can make icewm as default?

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

You just put in the new cd and boot with that. It automatically upgrades Puppy.

If you uninstall a dotpup, you will probably lose its settings. Usually people warn you when you must uninstall the old one first, but it really depends on whether you value settings or stability more. Personally, I'd try installing over the old one first, unless told not to. But then, I'm also not very scared of crashing things either...

If you install IceWM (MU made a nice package), you just need to exit to the prompt and restart x using icewm (the command is usually startx icewm or startx icewm-start. Check the instructions for the package you use). Then it should go straight into IceWM each time you boot the computer.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]