Booting from CF--kernel panic, no init found

Booting, installing, newbie
noahsatellite

Booting from CF--kernel panic, no init found

#1 Post by noahsatellite »

I downloaded puppy 1.0.2 and used the old instructions to put it on a Compact Flash card. There were a couple differences, for instance, there is no isolinux.bin nor isolinux.cfg--these files are called syslinux.bin and syslinux.cfg. So from the getgo there were gonna be some inconsistancies. Well my setup is a old hackable internet appliance that I want to boot to the CF and turn into a linux box. It has a CF drive on the secondary IDE channel and I used that to boot. I was given an error that there was an error loading linux, and I should enter the name of the kernel. Well I know enough to figure out the kernel's name is vmlinuz on this puppy so I typed that in and was quite impressed--it was booting! Then after registering all my ide drives and such it gave me a kernel panic--no init found and that maybe I should pass init= to the kernel.

Anyone have any idea about this?

Noah

#2 Post by Guest »

Have you tried putting it on the primary.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

You might find something useful in the index, under "Installing, booting from USB."

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

The CF card plugged into an ide cable, internal to the PC, is recognised as hda1 if on the first ide channel, not as sda1.

Puppy 1.0.4 is currently not working quite right with this configuration, and tonight or tomorrow I will fix it, as I have the NTA thin pc with the same setup.
I'll be reporting back to this thread:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... 9&start=15