problem with pup_save and mut with xp formatted drive

Booting, installing, newbie
mbutts
Location: sitn on an iceburg waiting for my next meal to swim by.

problem with pup_save and mut with xp formatted drive

#1 Post by mbutts »

im saving my PUP_SAVE to my ntfs formatted hard drive with XP PRO. it saves it fine, but when i pull up MUT after reboot it shows the hard drive HDA already mounted and if I try to use ROX to look at the contents i get an error. DIRECTORY '/MNT/DEV_SAVE' NOT FOUND. if i rename the PUP_SAVE in windoz, reboot the cd, i can mount the hard drive and look at the contents just fine. ive used 2.11 and 2.12 puppy with the same results. I like the fact that i can save to hard drive since its a lot faster than usb thumb drive on 1.1 usb. not to mention a lot bigger. should i have a fat partition or save the pup in a folder? should the drive be showing as HDA1 on MUT? the first time i shut down i went through the proceedure to save the session. i have yet to get the save to cd to work on my panasonic cf-48 toughbook 1 ghz with 512 meg mem. when i reboot with the cd after the first save to cd it goes right to xp. ive read some on the forum about that problem but still havent found anything that will fix that for me yet. im loving puppy and have downloaded some pups, changed some icons and customized some other features already.

sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

Hi mbutts; NTFS is a real pickle of yet another one of M$'s proprietary formats.
It's getting better, but it's still a work in progress as you can see.
Linux has had NTFS read capability for some time, write capability is somewhat new.

Easy fix:
Make a small FAT32 partition for Puppy, this way both Puppy & Win. can access it.

I've suggested an app. to auto. repartition an NTFS HD with a new FAT32 part.
It would only have to be a 1gb or 2 in size, that's plenty for Puppy.

mbutts
Location: sitn on an iceburg waiting for my next meal to swim by.

#3 Post by mbutts »

tnx sunburnt, ill try that. I kind of suspected maybe i might have to make a fat partition. one other thing, i did find the contents of the hard drive in /INTRD/MNT/DEV_SAVE when i clicked on the HOME icon on the desktop. im still learning how linux is put into directories and trying to learn more commands for the command lines as well as what the names of all the programs are and what they do. im loving what im seeing with PUPPY and will make it my first choice for linux followed by SLAX and maybe eventually DSL.

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

A symlink in /mnt to /initrd/mnt/dev_save sorted this for me ...behavior on ntfs is a little odd but usable.

drag and drop the dev_save folder into /mnt whilst pressing shift and control does the trick.

mike