Does HSF Winmodem Work With 2.12 Or Older 2.xx Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
EdFromHouston

Does HSF Winmodem Work With 2.12 Or Older 2.xx Puppy?

#1 Post by EdFromHouston »

I'm using 1.09CE with my Rockwell/Conexant HSF Winmodem 127A/2015 because the 2.4 kernel in 1.09 is compatable with my modem.

I noticed the HSF/HCF Linuxant drivers offer some compatability with the 2.6 kernel but the web page isn't specific about which 2.6 kernel works with their latest driver.

I'd like to use my modem with the 2.6.18 kernel and Puppy 212. Does anyone use this setup?

I haven't tried compiling the latest free linuxant driver because I wanted to check here first to see if anyone has gotten it to work and with which Puppy 2xx version.

Thanks
Ed

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I think some softmodem drivers come with the big 2.12 Puppy. If you have a high-speed connection and a CD burner the simplest and quickest way to answer your question is download Puppy 2.12 (the ~80 MB iso, not the cut down one,) burn it to a cheap CD, boot it and try to connect. Good luck. :)

EdFromHouston

#3 Post by EdFromHouston »

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with compiling the driver with Puppy 2.12 mostly, or other Puppy 2xx versions because Linuxants' driver page isn't specific on whether or not their driver works with the 2.6.18 kernel in Puppy 2.12. It just says it may or may not work with other 2.6. kernels.

Unfortunately their drivers are limited to 14K (except for the 20 dollar ones) and closed source.

Jcoder24 has contributed the latest DotPup for the HSF modems (hsfmodem-1105.pup) but it is not for the 2.6 kernel because Linuxants' license restrictions.

Jcoder24 does have a good guide:
How to compile HSF/HCF drivers for Puppy2 located at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 9034#69034

I think Jcoder24 stated on a post he doesn't have a HSF modem. The above link doesn't have any information on Puppy 2.12. The information stops at the 2.6.17 kernel which is something that Barry wont be using with 2.12 and beyond from reading his site.

Puppy 1.10CE is an option because I think it will use the 2.4.29 kernel but it is not out yet. However, I would like to move to the 2.6.18 kernel if possible because of 2.4 kernel restrictions on the machine I'm using including USB problems and because this will be used in newer versions of Puppy. It only has a CDROM and the USB1 setup and the 2.4 kernel has a problem I can't figure out with 1.09CE installed.

I had Puppy 2.12, the patched kernel source, and Barrys' compiled drivers. I was going to attempt compiling the latest driver at Linuxants' site but never did. Unfortunately I no longer have them due to a CD going bad that I had it stored on (no backup). If I download these again it will take forever because I'm on dialup and my broadband source is out of town.

I was hoping someone could tell me if the 2.6.18 kernel that Puppy 2.12 uses is compatable with the Linuxant driver. It would save a lot of download time.

jcoder24

#4 Post by jcoder24 »

I've just successfully compiled the hsf drivers in puppy 2.12. wvdialconf recognises it but i haven't done a dial-up test yet. You have to download the scripts for the new kernel used by 2.12. These has been uploaded on the howto page for puppy2 hsf/hcf drivers.

EdFromHouston

#5 Post by EdFromHouston »

jcoder24 wrote:I've just successfully compiled the hsf drivers in puppy 2.12. wvdialconf recognises it but i haven't done a dial-up test yet. You have to download the scripts for the new kernel used by 2.12. These has been uploaded on the howto page for puppy2 hsf/hcf drivers.
That's great. I'll download the stuff again tonight on my dialup connection and I'll let you know something tomorrow about this time if I don't have to work, otherwise it might take a little longer.

Thanks
Ed

EdFromHouston

#6 Post by EdFromHouston »

Hey Jcoder24,

I installed the HSF modem driver version 7.47.00.43 and it worked fine in Puppy 2.12.

After rebooting you need to add this to rc.local:

#Load modem drivers on boot. This adds 10 or more seconds to the boot time.
rm -f /dev/modem /dev/cuaHSF0 /dev/ttySHSF0 2>/dev/null
hsfconfig --serial

Otherwise you must run hsfconfig --serial in the console before connecting after rebooting.

I am using gkdial.

Also there was an error after compiling the modem driver (free edition 14.4Kbps), something about the HDA support not active line 1619 I think such and such however it works and that is what counts so I would suggest that this be ignored.

I hope this helps.

You may want to update the driver page to tell people to add the above lines to rc.local.

Thanks for your help
Ed

jcoder24

#7 Post by jcoder24 »

Thanks Ed for testing and reporting back. I've updated the howto as suggested.