Cannot touch an old win95 system but...

Booting, installing, newbie
ik4qix

Cannot touch an old win95 system but...

#1 Post by ik4qix »

Hi! Thank you for the fantastic puppy linux distribution. This is my first post.

I am the father of a little girl who attends a kindergarden where there is only an old PC (128MB 450 MHz) with Win95 as OS. The teachers asked me to find a way that let them download the pictures they take with a digital camera to the PC, but unfortunately no Win95 driver was provided by the camera manufaturer. Further they told me that I could not touch the PC: so no dual boot, nor installation of another OS because their boss did not allow to do it.

Puppy solved the problem (thanks!). As the PC did not allow booting from CD I used a boot floppy and the puppy CD. After mounting the camera and the hard disk I could download the pictures to HD. So mission accomplished.

Problem is that sometimes the floppy does not work properly or gets damaged. I can of course replace it in a minute, but the teachers asked me if a way for running puppy FROM WITHIN win95 is available.

That's my problem. I can of course install puppy to the HD, but then I would need again a boot floppy. I've read somewhere about a program called loadlin that may be able to do what I need, but I am not sure if it may work with puppy. I've also read about a puppy derivative work targeted to win98, but would it run on win95?

OK, that's all. Sorry for the long message. Thank you all in advance.

Mauro

Pence

#2 Post by Pence »

ik4qix

#3 Post by ik4qix »

Great! Thank you!!!