Usage for X Dialog when Trying to Remaster

Booting, installing, newbie
mrmister

Usage for X Dialog when Trying to Remaster

#1 Post by mrmister »

SOLVED: The winning answer was to make sure a suitable filesystem was present for the remaster script. Since I had no USB media plugged in and no space on my hard drive it decided to barf. Thanks for the input! =)

Hello there guys!

I've tried this both from a multisession disc and QEMU via Puppy 2.11.
I managed to figure out how to get WINE installed and the dot.pup for the Word viewer. I'd like to add that into my Puppy LiveCD. When I select Remaster Puppy live-CD, simple it claims to calaculate something and explains how it's gonna repack the main .SFS file. What I see afterwards is a Usage for X Dialog with command line options for that X Dialog thing. Yes, I reckon I'll have to find a place to store the remastered .SFS file, but.. it doesn't seem to be getting to that point in the process anyway. I have a poor Linux background so I'm not sure what's going on. If it were Windows I'd assume there's an error in the remaster script that makes the X Dialog program spew out it's default help text.

Any clues?
Last edited by mrmister on Tue 05 Dec 2006, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

Dougal

#2 Post by Dougal »

You didn't give any info on your setup, but you should try the latest version of my script first:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/search ... d=newposts

Please note that it won't work if you only have NTFS partitions... It occured to me a while ago that I should enable NTFS now that it's writeable... I keep forgetting to do it.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

mrmister

Thanks for the reply but..

#3 Post by mrmister »

Thanks for the fast response!

I tried clicking on your link and got:
No topics or posts met your search criteria

A search in your previous posts found:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7591#77591

Found a download called pupremaster.sh.gz from the above link so I'll lurk more to find the instructions on how to install/use it.

My setup is an AMD 3200 with a PATA 250gb drive and 512megs of RAM. The CD drive is an IDE dual layer Sony DVDRW. The entire partition is NTFS but I can resize it and put a FAT or EXT2 partition for use during the remaster process if needed.

Thanks again for the help.

Ganymedes

#4 Post by Ganymedes »

Yep, I was wondering about this myself. Actually the X-script info has nothing to do with the real problem.

Remastering does this if it does not find suitable workspace for remastering. Well, I do not know how it sees NTFS-partitions, probably it does not because I got this error message. Well, this might also have something to do whether your NTFS system is ready for writing from Puppy - it isn't if you have interrupted Windows boot while trying this out. I am not so sure how this NTFS stufff is really supposed to work in remastering, but you do not need to know either because ...

An easy solution for this is to have USB Flash disk connected to your system before you invoke the mastering - it does not need to be mounted or anything, just plug it in. Then it will give you a selection where you can select the USB flash disk space to be used for remastering.

It was using 1 Gbyte flash disk, but a lot smaller is enough.

I hope this helps.

Dougal

#5 Post by Dougal »

Sorry about the wrong link… Firefox doesn't always show the right url in the address-window (it shows the url of a different tab…).

Here is the right link:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=105

I've just added a new version that solves the ntfs problem.

Ganymedes: the ntfs problem was actually really trivial: probepart gives a list of partitions, but the script filters out the filesystems it doesn't want -- which used to include ntfs.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Ganymedes

#6 Post by Ganymedes »

Thanks for the clarification Dougal :) .