3Com 3C509B-TPC Ethernet card won't connect - RESOLVED

Booting, installing, newbie
Hans Koblet

3Com 3C509B-TPC Ethernet card won't connect - RESOLVED

#1 Post by Hans Koblet »

Hello !
I try to connect to the Internet with Puppy Linux and face difficulties. What I do :
- connect --> Internet Connection Wizard
- Connect to internet by wired ethernet interface ...
- Puppy_Network_Setup : Load driver 3c509 3Com Corp --> Module 3c509 has loaded successfully - OK
- Puppy_Network_Setup : Interfaces eth0
- puppy_Network_Setup : Configure eth0 : Test eth0 --> Puppy was able to find an alive network

Yet, there is no connection to the Internet.

- AutoDHCP does not work
- RP-PPPoE does not show green lights
- the ADSL-ISDN 4 Port Ethernet Router from swisscom fixnet does not show a green light

The NIC 3Com 509B-TCP has two "exits" : RJ-45 and the old BNC. The BNC is properly terminated.
I use the RJ-45-plug only. I use the correct Ethernet cable ( 1:1 , not crossed ).

I have no idea what to do. I'm completely new to Linux. What can I do in Puppy 2 ?

Thank you !
Last edited by Hans Koblet on Fri 08 Dec 2006, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.

Darkbee

#2 Post by Darkbee »

Given the amount of unecessary hassle that I had (see my post) I would strongly urge you to try the obvious first:

1. Check both ends of the ehternet cable are plugged in securely
2. Can you verify that the ethernet cable is working? i.e. have you successfully used it before
3. Can you connect other computers/operating systems to the Internet?
4. How are you connecting, via a router or straight through the DSL modem? In either case try unplugging the modem/router for 20 seconds or so, then power up your computer and try DHCP. (make sure you know your DSL connection details, because if they are stored on the router then powering it down might erase them and you might have to reconfigure it).
5. Try to eliminate Puppy as being the problem by trying other OS's like DamnSmallLinux or, for Windows (if you have a legitimate copy) BartPE
6. If this doesn't work then you could try setting your IP using the manual configuration (which is ok if you know what each of the manual entries are supposed to be).
7. If you're really desperate some people have reported that Puppy 2.02 works for them but not v2.12, so you could try to download an older version of Puppy.

It really is a process of elimination but from what I now understand of Puppy, there is absolutely no reason why well known branded ethernet cards shouldn't work with Puppy. Again, I really urge you to try to find the cause of the problem by process of elimination. You want to make sure that it is not:
1. Physical faults such as cables and/or connections
2. Hardware faults such as the ethernet card you are using is broken (so if you've used this card before then the chances are that it isn't, unless you've recently dropped your computer from a small high rise building)
3. Software faults; if one operating system worked like Windows but Puppy doesn't then it could be that you are not using the correct driver (You could try to let Puppy autodetect your ethernet card)
4. Unknown configuration or miscellaneous issue like I had, whereby the router was simply 'stuck' and needed to be reset for everything to start working again.

You should probably give some more details about your computer system e.g. amount of RAM(memory) installed, how you boot Puppy e.g. straight from the CD or did you do a HD install.

I hope this helps.

Gn2

#3 Post by Gn2 »

Confirm NIC card found

Code: Select all

lspci (or) dmesg|less
Check correct driver has been loaded

lsmod
Broadcast to Web for your ISP (internet service provider)

dhcpcd eth0
- that is eth"zero"

HTH

Hans Koblet

3Com 3C509B-TPC Transceiver

#4 Post by Hans Koblet »

Thanks a lot for the answers.
I tried dmesg in rxvt console. dmesg says :

eth0 : 3c5x9 found at 0x220, BNC port, address ...
3c509.c:1.19b 08Nov2002 becker@scyld.com
http://www.scyld.com/network/3c509.html

I have a feeling, that my 3C509B-TPC Combo-NIC is pre-configured for use of Transceiver type BNC instead of TP (= Twisted Pair RJ45). The BNC is terminated, which is a complete Mini-Ethernet. Maybe that's why the puppy_Network_Setup says : Configure eth0 : Test eth0 --> Puppy was able to find an alive network. Yes, but can't connect to the ADSL-ISDN-Router, since there is no old BNC-cable attached to the NIC, but an TP RJ45.

If true, I should have to reconfigure from BNC to TP, that needs a DOS program named 3C5X9CFG.EXE which, of course, I don't have anymore. My Puppy-PC is eight years old ( Pentium II 300 MHz ).

That's it for the moment and thank you again.

Hans

Hans Koblet

3C509B-TPC BNC reconfigured to TP

#5 Post by Hans Koblet »

Hello !

My feeling based on vague memory of events 10 or 8 years ago during my PC-support-days proofed right !

Google : 3c5x9cfg.exe download

=> http://ece-www.colorado.edu/~pfefferz/
vxworks/Notes_for_installing_Tornado_2.htm

( strange Web-Address, isn't it ? www yes, but ece-www ? )

Anyway, I saved and edited a configuration file named 3C5X9.SET :

@Transceiver type: on-board TP

( comment : TP = Twisted Pair = Cable, RJ45 = plug )
Loaded again in 3C5X9CFG.EXE, ran tests, all passed !

Now, Puppy fullfils AutoDHCP : NETWORK CONFIGURATION OF eth0 SUCCESSFUL ! Light on the ADSL-ISDN-Router blinking.

Greetings and Good Night ( 02:01 AM )

Hans

Gn2

#6 Post by Gn2 »

A typo ? -AFAIK > driver should be 3c59x.
Unclear - does it now work (if so Plse edit your original post header > RESOLVED
If not , this > This may give more info on usage

http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Document ... /3c509.txt

Does your ISP require a static connection for user ?
If so, they must provide you with their own numerical address > to be used in your eth0 configuration

Please refer to

man ifconfig 
Command (ifconfig -a) will give you status of connection
{Up RUNNING broadcast) & gateway (computer or router) numerical address
Example
ifconfig -a
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:BF:96:5F:56
inet addr:192.168.2.101 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:601 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:669 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:497981 (486.3 Kb) TX bytes:87832 (85.7 Kb)
Interrupt:11 Base address:0xb000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
What was result of running (dhcpcd eth0) - if dhcp daemon already running, the kernel will tell you.

If/when that happens - all matter of straightening out the temporary glitch in your Cfg. settings

Once outside connections are established, confirm by pings:

ping 192.168 .xx. xx
ping google.com
First example shows you can connect to router/gateway
2nd shows outside (Web) contact is a go.

HTH

Hans Koblet

3C509B-TPC BNC reconfigured to TP - Case RESOLVED

#7 Post by Hans Koblet »

Puppy DOES now work with 3Com EtherLink III 3C509B-TPC. I had to reconfigure the transceiver type from BNC to Twisted Pair with a DOS configuration utility named 3C5X9CFG.EXE

NOT a typo ! The NIC is 3C5X9 NOT 3C59X
fife-zero-nine, NOT fife-nine-zero, which also exists.

RESOLVED : Maybe I'm too stupid, but I can't find a button to set the topic to RESOLVED. Where/how can I do that ?

ISP works with DHCP and ping works

Thank you again for your tips, Hans