Puppy wizard sees Network Printer but can't print

Using applications, configuring, problems
jimbo1

Puppy wizard sees Network Printer but can't print

#1 Post by jimbo1 »

This topic got lost somewhere, or maybe I just think it was posted. Anyway, I have a network of Windows PCs, a printer connected to a D-Link print server and this Puppy PC. Puppy can see the other PCs and transfer files, etc. And Puppy can see the network printer. And the printer, Epson Stylus Photo 820, is in the Printer Wizard list. But I haven't been able to print from Puppy. Print Wizard proceeds OK, but then gets to a point where it wants me to choose parallel, serial or USB for the connection. The correct answer is "none" since my printer is on the network.

Thanks for any help, jimbo

Elmar

Network printer

#2 Post by Elmar »

I had the same problem when trying to print on my Laserjet connected to a sitecom wireless router. Here's what worked for me:
It didn't seem to matter what I selected for connection type - I just completed the wizard. Then, in xpdq (the print queue manager?), I added my printer, and when the question of the interface selection came up, selected "bsd-lpd". I used my router's ip address for the "remote lpd host", and left the "remote lpd queue" at the default "lp".
I found this solution on the net somewhere Googling for "xpdq" and "lpr", if I remember correctly.

I hope it works for you too, jimbo

jimbo

#3 Post by jimbo »

Thanks for the help. That worked for me also! Only one remaining problem, the page remains in the printer after printing is complete.

Thanks, jimbo
I had the same problem when trying to print on my Laserjet connected to a sitecom wireless router. Here's what worked for me:
It didn't seem to matter what I selected for connection type - I just completed the wizard. Then, in xpdq (the print queue manager?), I added my printer, and when the question of the interface selection came up, selected "bsd-lpd". I used my router's ip address for the "remote lpd host", and left the "remote lpd queue" at the default "lp".
I found this solution on the net somewhere Googling for "xpdq" and "lpr", if I remember correctly.

I hope it works for you too, jimbo

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

I think that XPDQ has a page-eject option checkbox somewhere, that will send a page-eject to the printer after printing a page.

Thanks very much for this info guys -- looks like I need to edit the Wizard to offer that bsd-lpd interface option.

Lobster, this info should be in the Wiki!

Kenneth Gundry

network printer

#5 Post by Kenneth Gundry »

I had the same problem, and the suggestions in this string didn't seem to help.

However, after a lot of frustrating experimentation, I thought to ping the name of the printer, and found that its address is NOT that of the server via which it is accessed (even though in Windows and in Linspire, another flavor of Linux, putting in the server name allows connection). When I put in the correct numbers in the interface options, lo and behold, it works!

Now I have to try a similar approach at home, where I have two computers linked by Ethernet, and I am sure the parallel printer on the Windows one does not have a distinct numerical address.

Ken Gundry