Media server running Puppy from CLI?

Booting, installing, newbie
Fritz_Monroe

Media server running Puppy from CLI?

#1 Post by Fritz_Monroe »

Hello folks. I briefly looked at Puppy to use on my kid's computer. I got side tracked with school, so never got around to doing it. So a new project has come up.

I've come across a couple Mini-ITX motherboards. They have 1.3 GHz Celeron processors, 128 Meg memory, on-board video, network, modem, etc. They are also pretty quiet, so I immediately thought about booting off USB. I'm thinking about turning one of them into a server to serve up my music CD collection. The IDE interface is for a laptop drive, so I won't be using a CD drive. I will be running this headless, and everything will need to run via the CLI. I think I'd like to make use of MPD for the jukebox itself. I'm not interested in using one of the pre-packaged music juke boxes.

My questions to you folks are these. Since Puppy is still Linux, I can install from source, right? I see there isn't a package for MPD. Also, I should be able to boot to the command line, right? Do I just change the run level?

The biggest question is this. I know that Puppy can do this project. I have no doubt about it. But should I use Puppy for this? Would I be better off using a different distro?

Thanks in advance

F_M
F_M
[url=http://counter.li.org/]Registered Linux user[/url] #391300