1.0.4 startup/shutdown scripts: rc.reboot updates

Using applications, configuring, problems
ozboomer

1.0.4 startup/shutdown scripts: rc.reboot updates

#1 Post by ozboomer »

It's been a while since I've played with the startup/shutdown scripts... but with 1.0.4 it seems updates to /etc/rc.d/rc.reboot are not maintained across reboots.

sysinit seems to always copy rc.reboot from /root0/... into /tmp, rather than copying /etc/rc.d/rc.reboot (irrespective of whether it's rc.reboot, rc.reboot-cd or rc.reboot-hd). Is this the correct behaviour?

In the current scheme of things, where I'm always booting from the Live-CD and saving things in a pup001 file on my PC HDD, I think I'll have to remaster the Live-CD with my own rc.reboot/rc.reboot-cd/rc.reboot-hd, so my changes are maintained.

Is this what I'm going to have to do... or have I got it all wrong again!? :)

Thanks.

John

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

If I recall rightly, the rc.reboot out of image.gz is used, copied to /tmp.

So yes, you will have to edit image.gz itself.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

or you can copy rc.reboot to rc.reboot-my ... make any changes to rc.reboot-my, and have a line in maybe rc.local, to copy rc.reboot-my to /tmp/rc.reboot

ozboomer

#4 Post by ozboomer »

GuestToo wrote:or you can copy rc.reboot to rc.reboot-my ... make any changes to rc.reboot-my, and have a line in maybe rc.local, to copy rc.reboot-my to /tmp/rc.reboot
Ok, this seems to be the sort of way to go, I think.

I'm having another cut at setting-up some sort of 'site-specific' customizations for startup/shutdown and I'm leaning toward maintaining my own files/directories... and then I'll have something that modifies rc.local to run all the site-specific things... but I still have to be careful with that as the firewall setups (and who knows what else) can still come through and modify rc.local).

Many thanks for the info.