How do I save programs & settings when running live CD?

Booting, installing, newbie
Strawgate

How do I save programs & settings when running live CD?

#1 Post by Strawgate »

When booting from the live CD, is there anyway to have it save your settings? Someone installed a program called byond on the computer, he got it working and it was fine. I rebooted, and now its not working at all.

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

I suggest to change the 'subject' on your post to something relevant to your question; Like 'How do I save configuration in LiveCD"

Second.

If you have a FAT32 or Ext2 partition, puppy should have ceated a pup001 file unless you started it with option 3 and did not select a partition.

If you have an NTFS partition (If you have Windows XP), you need to download the pup001.zip file and expand it at the root of your C drive "C:\".

You need to do that from within Windows.

Click on this link to get the pup001.zip file:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... pup001.zip

Strawgate

#3 Post by Strawgate »

Sorry for the title, I couldnt edit my post because im a guest.

I do have the pup001 file on the hard disk, it saves files but it seems each time I use it I cant run my programs again, I have to get the same person to reinstall the program AGAIN. I dont want to lose this person, but I do have to use my windows portion for certain things.

Strawgate

#4 Post by Strawgate »

We need to expand it???

rarsa

#5 Post by rarsa »

It may be the way your expert is installing the applications combined with the core nature of Puppy.

When you boot from a Live CD, all of the folders under / are on RAMDISK with the exception of /root.

Using UNIONFS, puppy mounts /root/.etc and /root/.usr into /etc and /usr respectivelly. That allow to install most programs.

If your application installs files to other folders outside of /root, /etc and /usr, those files will be lost the next time you reboot the computer.

For example, I have a webcam driver kernel module that goes to a folder under /lib. So I put that file in a different folder under /root and everytime I reboot, I copy the kernel module to that folder so I can use my webcam.

When you install some applications, you can select where to put certain files. Try puting those files in a different location.

Those are currently the only workarounds with the LiveCD I know off.

Another alternative would be to Install to HDD.

Rich

#6 Post by Rich »

The Pup001 file is 256MB in size. Expanding it shouldn't really be needed for a good while......if ever.

Although this file is in the root directory of the Hard drive, if you have ( say ) windows installed on the computer then it's just seen as a single file. Puppy uses it as it's partition though, when you boot Puppy of course.

If you have installed software using Puppy then it should be stored within the correct subdirectories of the pup001 file. Rebooting won't override this or remove it. Are the files that your friend installed still in the system somewhere??

Also, can you find a link for the Byond package you installed......it might help speed up sorting your problem out.

Rich

raffy

use root

#7 Post by raffy »

The desktop that you see in Puppy is actually /root. Put the files there, like in /root/my-applications.

hope it's not over 256 MB. to use more than 256 MB, resize root filesystem in utilities then reboot. (assuming you are using FAT pup001).

in time, you can learn doing a dotpup and make your program available to others, but the simplest way to share (and backup) the installation is to compress the contents of the directory

in console, go inside the directory

cd my-applications

tar czvf newfile.tar.gz *

then open file manager and move the newfile.tar.gz to another location before you shutdown (so it wont add to your pup001 size).
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Strawgate

#8 Post by Strawgate »

Rich wrote:The Pup001 file is 256MB in size. Expanding it shouldn't really be needed for a good while......if ever.

Although this file is in the root directory of the Hard drive, if you have ( say ) windows installed on the computer then it's just seen as a single file. Puppy uses it as it's partition though, when you boot Puppy of course.

If you have installed software using Puppy then it should be stored within the correct subdirectories of the pup001 file. Rebooting won't override this or remove it. Are the files that your friend installed still in the system somewhere??

Also, can you find a link for the Byond package you installed......it might help speed up sorting your problem out.

Rich
http://games.byond.com/download/344/byond_linux.zip