Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 30 Aug 2014, 18:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Finally, Puppy to HD - but worth the effort
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Mechsus

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul 2005, 12:11    Post_subject:  Finally, Puppy to HD - but worth the effort  

I picked up an old Compaq PII 350Mhz/64MB Ram/ 4GB HD, yesterday... Just for my Linux experiments. I installed the following in this order:

1. Corel Linux. This from a ´Corel Linux for Dummies´ book I got back in 2000,
and that had been sitting at the back of the bookshelf for 5 years.This wouldn´t install properly as setup reported a boot sector virus. Odd, since
I nuked the HD using Darik´s Boot & Nuke. Resolved the problem by disabling the anti-virus thing in BIOS. Anyway, Corel is a nice small distro --- but you can´t do much with it. Very limited selection of apps, but this came out way back in 2000.

2.Red Hat 9. Huge. About 2Gigs of stuff to load onto my poor 350. It took an hour to install, and the perfornance was painfully slow.

3.Puppy 1.0.4. Finally -- I installed to the HD (a project that has taken me a week to crack). Wow! Puppy beats the above two hands down. Very fast, very tight. I stuck my US Robotics serial into the back and Puppy detected it with no problems. A satisfied customer.
Freedom

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul 2005, 16:06    Post_subject:  

Yes Puppy is a sweet OS isn't it Very Happy
Bruce B

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul 2005, 16:57    Post_subject:  

If you ran Darik's Boot & Nuke, you would not have a boot sector virus. In fact you would not even have a boot sector.

You must have partitioned the drive in some way after Boot & Nuke.

The BIOS anti-virus doesn't detect viruses that I know of??

It reports to you that something is wanting to modify the boot sector, then gets your persmission.

This is generally speaking, because there are various BIOS software companies, and each one can handle things slightly differently.
[u]
raffy

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul 2005, 04:13    Post_subject: How 1.04 installed?  

Would you be so kind as to post how you installed Puppy 1.04 to your system? Thanks.
Mechsus

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul 2005, 23:11    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Would you be so kind as to post how you installed Puppy 1.04 to your system? Thanks.

Sure - just give me a day or so. Right now I have to interupt my Puppy training with an annoying activity called ``work`` or a ``job`` Wink

Actually I used an online tutorial that I saved to another PC, then used that as an interactive guide when I was installing Puppy. You can find it on the Puppy website. Iĺl try and find the URL and post it.
Mechsus

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul 2005, 23:16    Post_subject:  

Quote:
If you ran Darik's Boot & Nuke, you would not have a boot sector virus. In fact you would not even have a boot sector.

Correct. But, obviously the chip anti-virus in the bios was being detected by the Corel (debian) linux setup, and being interpreted as a boot sector virus. Disabling the boot up anti-virus feature in bios, solved the conflict
Mechsus

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul 2005, 08:21    Post_subject:  

Quote:

Idea Follow this guide:

http://www.ph-islands.net/pupinstall/

Good luck.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum