Finally, Puppy to HD - but worth the effort

Booting, installing, newbie
Mechsus

Finally, Puppy to HD - but worth the effort

#1 Post by Mechsus »

I picked up an old Compaq PII 350Mhz/64MB Ram/ 4GB HD, yesterday... Just for my Linux experiments. I installed the following in this order:

1. Corel Linux. This from a

Freedom

#2 Post by Freedom »

Yes Puppy is a sweet OS isn't it :D
www.gnu.org
www.PCCleanUp.US

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

If you ran Darik's Boot & Nuke, you would not have a boot sector virus. In fact you would not even have a boot sector.

You must have partitioned the drive in some way after Boot & Nuke.

The BIOS anti-virus doesn't detect viruses that I know of??

It reports to you that something is wanting to modify the boot sector, then gets your persmission.

This is generally speaking, because there are various BIOS software companies, and each one can handle things slightly differently.

raffy

How 1.04 installed?

#4 Post by raffy »

Would you be so kind as to post how you installed Puppy 1.04 to your system? Thanks.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Mechsus

#5 Post by Mechsus »

Would you be so kind as to post how you installed Puppy 1.04 to your system? Thanks.
Sure - just give me a day or so. Right now I have to interupt my Puppy training with an annoying activity called ``work`` or a ``job`` :wink:

Actually I used an online tutorial that I saved to another PC, then used that as an interactive guide when I was installing Puppy. You can find it on the Puppy website. Iĺl try and find the URL and post it.

Mechsus

#6 Post by Mechsus »

If you ran Darik's Boot & Nuke, you would not have a boot sector virus. In fact you would not even have a boot sector.
Correct. But, obviously the chip anti-virus in the bios was being detected by the Corel (debian) linux setup, and being interpreted as a boot sector virus. Disabling the boot up anti-virus feature in bios, solved the conflict

Mechsus

#7 Post by Mechsus »

:idea: Follow this guide:

http://www.ph-islands.net/pupinstall/

Good luck.