Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 16 Jul 2018, 04:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Put Pup on usb stick... how get pc to boot off it?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
Stocky

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec 2006, 11:52    Post subject:  Put Pup on usb stick... how get pc to boot off it?  

I'm new to all this... but believe I installed to the flash drive successfully.
Downloaded 2.12 on to my xp lappy...
Burned the download on to a new cd...
Used CD to download on to a sandisk 512 stick...
When I look at the flash's it shows 5 or six files...
one is vmlinuz... one is gup212 sfs file... something like that...
so I think I'm ok there..
I have my boot order det to floppy, then cd, then HD..
those were my only 3 options..
I've tried to boot from the stick half a dozen times... it isn't read... and searched to, and ends up at HD.
I tried it in all 4 of my usb ports.

I've searched everywhere for help on this on...
any ideas??
Thanks,
From one sick Puppy. Question
kkpity

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec 2006, 12:21    Post subject:  

Do you have an option to boot USB in your BIOS?

If not, I think you have to start booting your pendrive with a floppy.

There are some tips at puppy wiki page:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HowToUsePuppy

Good luck!

kkpity

Linux user #388359 (http://counter.li.org/)
Crash

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec 2006, 22:47    Post subject:  

I have been successfully booting Puppy Linux on a variety of computers using a USB stick, but using a floppy disk to do the initial boot. Just make a Wakepup2 disk using the "WakePup create boot floppy" utility in the Setup menu. For a computer lacking a floppy but having a CD reader, you can make a CD from the floppy using the "make bootable CD" option available in most CD burner programs.

Although it is possible to boot directly from a USB stick with the right combination of computer and BIOS, I experience almost 100% success using the floppy. The only downside is the convenience and speed factor.

The situation may change in the future as more attention is paid by the computer manufacturers, but for now I am simply relying on the good old floppy. I don't consider this to be a Puppy Linux problem, but rather a USB flash drive support issue.
Stocky

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec 2006, 11:21    Post subject: using a floppy takes away extreme convenience...?  

I hear you...

I suppose if I could do that with one of the business card size cdiscs it wouldn't be too bad....
It's just the idea of having it "All" on a single flash drive....
that would be about as good as it gets.
Of course every pc is a bit unique....
and I have to wonder how many have bios set up to allow listing the flash number one with cd and hd after that?
I've got "Floppy" listed on a pretty new lappy... shoot.. I haven't bought any pc with a floppy in 2 to three years.
I wonder how hard it would be to say substitute the floppy boot option with a flash?
Or what other possibilities there might be out there?
Thanks,
Brian
Crash

PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec 2006, 23:17    Post subject:  

Here is some more regarding the search for an all solid state Puppy Linux installation:

I like using the mini-CD's - they are the same size as a floppy and fit in a shirt pocket just fine. I notice they are being pushed off the shelves by mini-DVD's, which should work too. I haven't tried the DVD's yet - there just seems something wrong about using a media capable of storing Gigabytes being used to store 50K of boot code.

Today for the first time I found a computer that boots up Puppy Linux from a Flash USB drive. It is a Dell Optiplex - fairly modern, Pentium 4 and such. I don't know who's BIOS it is - I suspect Dell's own - but it allows the USB boot option to be first on the list. The USB stick has to be in the computer before it is turned on or it will not recognize it.

I tried two different Flash drives - a 256MB Sandisk Cruzer Mini and a 1 GB Sandisk Cruzer Micro. They both work fine - boot in about 70 seconds. I had to uninstall the U3 software in the Micro for it to work, but otherwise there were no problems. I simply booted up with the live CD and used the Universal Installer tool to set up the Flash drives.

Note you do not have to remove the U3 software if you intend to do the initial boot through a floppy.

My next project will be to try a Compact Flash drive. I found one at the local drug store for $10 OVERPRICED. I like to use the local store as a benchmark of technology since if it is available there, it is probably available in lots of other places too. You can buy Compact-Flash-to-IDE adapters for $10 on the Internet. They are only worth about that, since all they do is act as an adapter from one size connector to another - no active parts required. Although it requires popping the top off of the computer, it seems like a pretty sure fire way to get an all solid state solution.
debernardis

PostPosted: Sat 23 Dec 2006, 03:23    Post subject:  

I have found, too, that the key to have machines boot from usb is connecting your thumb drive before you turn them on. After you press the start button, look at the led that usually is included in.your usb drive: if it flashes, chances are that your bios is aware it exists indeed.
On my hp notebook, then, it.is necessary to go to the boot sequence menu in the bios configuration. There, thumb drives are enlisted among hard discs (really!). At that point,I have to modify the sequence those discs are searched for a boot track, by moving my thumb drive from the last to the first position in that list.
Then, I only have to save the new boot config, and allow a reboot, which will load puppy from the attached usb drive.
This config lasts until the thumb drive is attached, and forgot when I detach it or reboot from another disc.
Hope it helps: I needed a lot of time to discover it all, and have my distro in my pocket everywhere I go Wink
JohnMc

PostPosted: Sun 24 Dec 2006, 10:37    Post subject:  Put Pup on usb stick... how get pc to boot off it?  

I haven't tried the DVD's yet - there just seems something wrong about using a media capable of storing Gigabytes being used to store 50K of boot code. -- Crash

I hear ya. But then I got to thinking, multi-session Puppy on mini-DVD. Assuming you had the burner to get Puppy on it this would be a killer format.
GrumpyWolfe

PostPosted: Sun 24 Dec 2006, 11:09    Post subject: Flash Card
Subject description: I now have a flash card that works with a gateway

Hi to all

I have a gateway pc. It has built in card reader, so tried to get puppy to boot off a flash card with not luck. Change the bios settings and all that stuff.

What is came down to is that the internal card reader will not work tell there is a operating system to access it. Using a external card reader I am now able to boot into puppy linux 2.12. But as mentioned above you have to have in in the computer before you start the system or if you have to reboot windows to get to puppy insert it just before you reboot

GrumpyWolfe
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: