Firefox 1.5 for Puppy 2.11

Booting, installing, newbie
Ganymedes

Firefox 1.5 for Puppy 2.11

#1 Post by Ganymedes »

I downloaded previously Firefox 1.5 using the DotPup_Downloader in 2.11.

It worked fine, also with Flash content on the WEB-site.

Now I created a better remastered version of Puppy on CD, but I cannot find the Firefox anymore. Neither downloader nor the Forum "download" section is finding it - or rather its installer is not found.

How could I get it ... is it possible to get as a set of files so that I could use it without being dependent on the WEB contents ?

Artie

#2 Post by Artie »

1.5.0.3 is in the PupGet package manager... or you can install the latest from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ox&t=13833

Artie

Ganymedes

#3 Post by Ganymedes »

Yes, there is one. But it is a different version. I originally skipped that because it does not have flash built-in and it does not say it is Firefox (it is Deer Park - also the icon is wrong).

I managed to find my old Firefox 1.5 files on one of my Live-CDs. I copied the files under /root/firefox, but got confusing 30 errors while doing that (drag and drop method). Still, it seems to work ok. I am not quite sure what to make out from this - is this really a wrong way of copying files from a saved session and into a running root directory ?

Firefox 2.0 version has been reported to be unstabile.

I am a bit confused what I should select now for my Live-CD.

Ganymedes

#4 Post by Ganymedes »

Yes, I got these errors when copying the Firefox 1.5 directory - 33 errors.

But almost all of them were errors from a file ".wh.__dir_opaque" and 1 from ".wh.update.test".

Without knowing what these files really are, it does not seem anything of importance to copy - probably this goes as it should ? :roll:

Somehow this GetPup version seems to do what I want and it claims to be Firefox :wink: .

Artie

#5 Post by Artie »

I've never tried copying just installing with a .pup. Hope you get answers from better qualified people. Good luck! :-)

Artie

WhoDo

Re: Firefox 1.5 for Puppy 2.11

#6 Post by WhoDo »

Ganymedes wrote:Now I created a better remastered version of Puppy on CD, but I cannot find the Firefox anymore. Neither downloader nor the Forum "download" section is finding it - or rather its installer is not found.

How could I get it ... is it possible to get as a set of files so that I could use it without being dependent on the WEB contents ?
If you first get the Puppy Software Installer (PSI) you will be connected to all of the current repositories, including the one that contains the Firefox 1.5.07 dotpup. That will automagically update online to the current 1.5.08 version while you browse.

I have found that Swiftfox is a better choice. It uses Firefox 2.0 but in my experience doesn't have any of the glitches in the full version ... and it's very VERY fast!

Hope that helps

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

But almost all of them were errors from a file ".wh.__dir_opaque" and 1 from ".wh.update.test".

Without knowing what these files really are, it does not seem anything of importance to copy - probably this goes as it should ?
.wh.* files are what UnionFS uses to hide deleted files from .sfs filesystems. For example, if I deleted Seamonkey, since the pup_xxx.sfs file is read-only, Puppy can't actually delete it. Instead, it places .wh. files in the save-file, and when UnionFS sees them, it ignores the files in the pup_xxx.sfs file.

You can't see them in the Puppy they belong to, but when copying stuff from another one they turn up and cause errors. Puppy doesn't want to copy them into itself, which is a good thing, so it turns out to be okay.

Long answer short: Don't worry about them. :wink:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Ganymedes

#8 Post by Ganymedes »

Thank you Pizzasgood ! This helps a lot in verifying my system.

Ganymedes

#9 Post by Ganymedes »

Thanks WhoDo about mentioning PSI ! I did not know about that.

I actually hacked through with Firefox 1.5 by getting it from my older cd-sessions files and getting the flash from the puppylinux.org web page, but I will probably use PSI for getting a newer 1.5 when I start over.

Anyway, I used PSI to get F-prot, which would have been my next question :) .