Partionimage or Mondorescue DotPups

Using applications, configuring, problems
HandyCamper

Partionimage or Mondorescue DotPups

#1 Post by HandyCamper »

I have tried using Pudd to backup my YECH... XP partition but without success. I have tried parttion image but it doesnt have the tools to goto a choice of cd burners... I've read about a package called Mondo Rescue at http://www.mondorescue.org/
There are variuos Debian and Redhat packages but I couldnt get the debian to work.. I tried the undeb/unrpm and it broke it down into sub folders but I am not yet experienced enough to figure out "what next"

I can see puppy as not only a great mini Linux but with it already having Gparted included, The other ( Mondo or Partition Image ) as a DotPup would be great for the community.

Mondo does not even have a StandAlone iso, which would make Puppy a one of kind great recovery tool! Not only for the other oses, but would make a quick backup for those trying out development or first time Grub / multi boot systems.

I know I'm probably asking a lot here, but if someone could make a Dotpup for either of these packages, it would not only be appreciated by myself but many others. I'll be glad to be a tester for such a package.

Thanks in Advance
Handy

Gn2

#2 Post by Gn2 »

There are many dedicated stand-alone bootable rescue media
alternatives - one of better: RESCUECD
The Cd contains many useful Linux utilities - one of which is
Gparted .
That tool allows backing up of any partition - OR copying of entire O/system. (Please read the documentation)

HTH

WhoDo

#3 Post by WhoDo »

Gn2 wrote:There are many dedicated stand-alone bootable rescue media
Gparted .
That tool allows backing up of any partition - OR copying of entire O/system. (Please read the documentation)

HTH
And of course you could use Gparted from the Puppy CD, too. See Start - Control Panel

Cheers

Gn2

#4 Post by Gn2 »

Gn2 wrote:
There are many dedicated stand-alone bootable rescue media
Gparted .

HTH

And of course you could use Gparted from the Puppy CD, too. See Start - Control Panel

Cheers
As was noted :
The Cd contains many useful Linux utilities - one of which is Gparted
Guess I should have specified both have that utility ..... but the point was > Puppy doesn't contain the full Docs for usage !
Nor other very powerful tools that are part of dedicated Rescue CDs.

HandyCamper

rescueCD

#5 Post by HandyCamper »

Thanks WhoDo and Gn2 !

I had tried the rescueCD and though it works, it doesnt have the options that puppy has for discovering devices or mnts as friendly as puppy has. I had looked else where for a similar utility and came across the MondoRescue which at onetime did have an ISO image but is no longer available... Mondo had been updated and has the install packages for most dristributions inluding debian... I even tried to install it ( I'm evedently still WAYYYyyy to Nubenized to handle that situation yet and will be sometime before I can get to that level) .. thats why I was asking if anyone could manage a dotpup for it.

Thanks again for your help and info

Handy

Gn2

#6 Post by Gn2 »

You may find RescudeCD is MORE user friendly - using MC (Midnight Commander) plus choice of easy to use editors.
Users more familiar to WinXX systems often find MC has all they need.
The CLI is Bash - (not BusyBox) with greater versatility/power.
It is good to have choices, a dedicated rescue media can be life-saver.

HTH

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

If you are looking for backup software and don't mind spending a few dollars, I'd recommend Terabyte Image. It works with all the latest stuff - NTFS partitions, SATA drives, DVD burners, external USB drives, etc. You can boot it off diskettes or optical drives and there is even a Linux version.

HandyCamper

Partition image and Gparted

#8 Post by HandyCamper »

Considering puppy has Gparted included and it works fairly well ( Ive been using the heck out of it and its great! ).. issues with making the first fat32 parttion active, but otherwise its most excellent, I think its a shame to have to use a commercial product when an open source is available.

By what I had read of MondoRescue, it appeared to be a small package and can handle partiton imaging ( backing up a partition to a singles compressed file).

an XP partion ( fat32) only needs ntldr to be located at where the MBR has it mapped and the rest of the files can actually be just copied over and compressed.( though a few files m$dos attributes do get changed) has worked fine.

I was just hoping to get either PartitionImage or Mondo as a pupget to make it even easier to try out puppy ( such as a full HD install) without having worry about messing up the other stuff on my HD ( Gparted already does the biggest part of the job)

If I could make the dotpup I would, and if I ever get THAT good with puppy would enjoy doing it!

meanwhile.. looks like rescueCD is a lot better than I had fist realized and will do just fine.

Thanks !!

Handy

WhoDo

Re: Partition image and Gparted

#9 Post by WhoDo »

HandyCamper wrote:If I could make the dotpup I would, and if I ever get THAT good with puppy would enjoy doing it!
Sounds like you need to play with MU's excellent Dotpup Wizard! It can be downloaded using MU's Puppy Software Installer (PSI) - see System Utilities.

I have created two (2) working dotpups using the wizard - Planner, a project management package, and Qcad - and if I can do it almost anyone can! :D

It is MU's genius to make things easy for guys like us, so don't be afraid to have a go at it, HandyCamper.

Cheers

01101001b

Re: Partionimage or Mondorescue DotPups

#10 Post by 01101001b »

HandyCamper wrote:I have tried using Pudd to backup my YECH... XP partition but without success. [...] I've read about a package called Mondo Rescue at http://www.mondorescue.org/
Incredible. I've found that app just a minute ago. I was looking for days something like Norton Ghost to no avail. I'd tried partimage, partclone, clonezilla (I had tough luck with it in my system), pudd and others and I couldn't make an image for a w7 partition ("NTFS signature not found").

In the end, good old dd made the magic. However this tool (Mondorescue) was never mentioned in any of the webpages I read about backup (and I read quite a lot). I found it by chance here

I haven't tried it yet _but_ I can inform that it's running perfectly in my dpup 8) (thirteen years later, nonetheless :wink: )