1.0.4 Framebuffer works! (Sony Vaio)

Using applications, configuring, problems
tim

1.0.4 Framebuffer works! (Sony Vaio)

#1 Post by tim »

Just set up the framebuffer as my Sony Vaio laptop has a supported chip, all went well except fbdev installation hung - so rebooted and up came the wizard, the settings it found were correct, and it works perfectly...
Tim

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

That is good news. I downloaded the xbuffer ISO and it booted into a command line (which I think it is meant to do) and could not get a GUI - however I did not need this ISO - just thought I would have a go.

Perhaps if you can provide a screenshot for the wiki that can go on the news. I must admit I barely understand what or why this ISO exists but I know it is important and essential to some people especially those running laptops with unusual configurations.

Well done :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Tim,
are you referring to the official Puppy 1.0.4 live-CD?
...did you install the framebuffer pupget packages?

If so, I'm interested to know what video hardware your laptop has, so that we can give that a tick...
Do this in an rxvt terminal window:

Code: Select all

# cat /proc/pci | grep "VGA"
and let us know what it reports.

tim

#4 Post by tim »

Yes i am using the official Puppy 1.0.4 and followed the installation instructions posted on the anouncements part of the forum.
I downloaded the xfbdev from /ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... packages-1
/xfbdev-4.3.0v2-xkbd.tar.gz.
The laptop is a Sony VAIO pcg-z600re with a resolution of 1024x768 16bit at 60hz correctly identified by the wizard.
Grep shows a Neomagic Corporation NM2200 - MagicGraph256AV - rev32.
I have attached a screen shot of the desktop - i used the original sony background.
hope that helps
Tim
Attachments
screen1.jpg
(151.27 KiB) Downloaded 806 times