saved files in verbotten place?

Booting, installing, newbie
jonyo

saved files in verbotten place?

#1 Post by jonyo »

Got pup 2.12 humming (live cd) on a laptop but ended up putting the saved files on the part of the drive that is setup to restore the 'puter if anything goes wrong. I've never been able to (or tried) to access that part of the drive in the past, when in windows.

Hoping i didn't mess up the ability, of that restore partition, to restore my computer..if need be at some point. Don't think i've done it yet but will I be able to make 'restore' disks? Anyone know?

What should I do? I think I can access that part of the drive when I run pup on the live CD. Just delete those files?

If it matters & for whatever reason (dunno?), the main part of the drive is setup NtFS & the small restore partition is setup FAT.
Last edited by jonyo on Sat 13 Jan 2007, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.

Gn2

#2 Post by Gn2 »

They should not be stored there - Puppy should be able to find them & Windows will probably just ignore them
(they are just non-executeable nor readable to Winxx)
BUT if that normally "hidden" partition is needed - keep it clean.
You do NOT want to risk overwriting the sectors Windows expects
to find rescue data !

jonyo

#3 Post by jonyo »

Yup, puppy can access the files & so far windows seems to be ok. Was a bit surprised that the files are ~ 300 megs.
What's the best course of action at this point?
Last edited by jonyo on Thu 25 Jan 2007, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.

jonyo

#4 Post by jonyo »

Decided to move the pup files (figured out how to do it in windoze) to the other partion & reboot.
Ended up with some error messages on reboot (in pup) but pup seemed to be working ok.
Moved them back to the verbotten partition & pup booted up normal
Thought pup saved eveything on one file? Quite sure there was a saved file & a swap file (maybe there are more that I missed or don't know about?).
Turns out I did this very thing on 2 computers..selecting saving to hard drive, but in the wrong place, or wrong partion (small & supposed to be reserved for windows restore).
How do i fix it?
Last edited by jonyo on Mon 12 Feb 2007, 02:30, edited 3 times in total.

kjs

#5 Post by kjs »

Linux likes FAT partitions much better then winDOS NTFS.....

Juergen
-- in a world without fences and walls who needs Windows and Gates? --
>>> winDOS free since 1998 <<<

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: saved files in verbotten place?

#6 Post by Béèm »

jonyo wrote:Got pup 2.12 humming (live cd) on a laptop but ended up putting the saved files on the part of the drive that is setup to restore the 'puter if anything goes wrong. I've never been able to (or tried) to access that part of the drive in the past, when in windows.

Hoping i didn't mess up the ability, of that restore partition, to restore my computer..if need be at some point. Don't think i've done it yet but will I be able to make 'restore' disks? Anyone know?

What should I do? I think I can access that part of the drive when I run pup on the live CD. Just delete those files?

If it matters & for whatever reason (dunno?), the main part of the drive is setup NtFS & the small restore partition is setup FAT.
Do you happen to have a IBM Thinkpad?
I have the same situation.
Infact never used in Windows that particular 'backup' part, but used it in Puppy without problem.
Don't know what happens if I really execute a rapid backup/restore.

jonyo

#7 Post by jonyo »

Did it on 2 Gateway laptops: M520 & mx3410