2.12 CD not upgrading 2.10 hd install

Booting, installing, newbie
nic2109

2.12 CD not upgrading 2.10 hd install

#1 Post by nic2109 »

Hello; having the same trouble as everyone else while failing to get my Netgear WG511 wireless card working I thought that it might be worth trying 2.12 out. So this post is about the upgrade 2.10 to 2.12.

The 'Read these first' Release Notes said that just loading from the live CD would update my installation, but it doesn't seem to have done anything. When I load from HDD it's still 2.10.

What may have gone wrong?

I have a "Dual-boot" IBM Thinkpad T20 which I have setup as follows :-

hda1 = Windows 2000
hda2 = Windows Recovery Partition
hda3 = EXT3 where Puppy 2.10 is installed
hda4 = Linux Swap

GRUB installed in MBR

Pupsave file in hda1 - it wasn't recognised first time when I put it on hda3 so I re-installed.

I'm content with 2.10 as long as I'm happy to be wired. But would dearly love to get wireless working, and if 2.12 is a better bet then I'd like to try.

Cheers - and Happy New Year one and all.

Nic

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Is your Puppy setup on hda3 a traditional full hard drive install? In that case, I believe you need to run the Puppy Universal Installer again from the Setup menu.

alienjeff

Upgrade to 2.12

#3 Post by alienjeff »

I don't know if this is why you're experiencing trouble, but 2.10 and 2.12 utilize different kernels. And if memory serves, the compression technique changed, too.
Last edited by alienjeff on Mon 08 Jan 2007, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

nic2109

Upgrade to 2.12

#4 Post by nic2109 »

Question from rcrsn51. "Is your Puppy setup on hda3 a traditional hard drive install?". The Answer is "Yes, in a dedicated EXT3 partition. BUT my pupsave file is on the Windows partition. I don't know whether that might make any difference".

"You need to run the 'Puppy universal installer again" from the Setup menu". Well I tried that but it didn't work because some of the relevant files were in use and couldn't be unmounted. I didn't try very hard and baled out at that point.

Should I run from the live CD with a non-default option that will allow the install? Or do I need to remove/delete the pupsave file?

All help gratefully received!

Nick

nic2109

Upgrade to 2.12

#5 Post by nic2109 »

I think that I can now answer my own question. The "automatic upgrade" referes to the saved settings etc in the PUPSAVE file. To upgrade the installed to HD version will indeed need a fresh install.

I guess that I'm still used to other systems where it's NOT normal to run from the CD and save settings locally.

I reckon that this is now closed.