isa sound card not recognized

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
tytower

Built in sound board not detected by 2.15

#16 Post by tytower »

I have a motherboard with built in sound and it works fine in 2.14 but 2.15 reports it can't find a sound board . What's different that could be messing this up ?

tempestuous

#17 Post by tempestuous »

tytower

#18 Post by tytower »

tempestuous- that reference above relates to legacy cards . Mine is an AC97 codec card and not to my knowledge a legacy card. Ceryainly it does not appear in the legacy card list that does come up after ythe patch is applied.

This is a more basic problem which 2.14 did not have-lots of sound cards not recognised is what I am seeing on the forums

BTW excuse double post on this as I did not see it appear here and posted it again separately the next day

tempestuous

#19 Post by tempestuous »

The title of this thread is "isa sound card not recognized".
In 2007, ISA-based sound cards are most certainly legacy devices. I don't believe it's possible to buy an ISA sound card on today's market.

And we still don't know the exact details of your sound card.
tytower wrote:lots of sound cards not recognised is what I am seeing on the forums
Yes, ISA sound cards, for the reason explained in the above link.

Puppy 2.15 has ALSA libraries matched to the ALSA kernel modules, and there are some reports of BETTER sound card recognition/compatibility -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 071#112071

tytower

#20 Post by tytower »

tempestuous wrote:The title of this thread is "isa sound card not recognized".
In 2007, ISA-based sound cards are most certainly legacy devices. I don't believe it's possible to buy an ISA sound card on today's market.

And we still don't know the exact details of your sound card.
tytower wrote:lots of sound cards not recognised is what I am seeing on the forums
Yes, ISA sound cards, for the reason explained in the above link.

Puppy 2.15 has ALSA libraries matched to the ALSA kernel modules, and there are some reports of BETTER sound card recognition/compatibility -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 071#112071
OK -None so dumb as the saying goes
As I said my card is built in to the motherboard as I said .Don't know what it is but it isnt ISA apparently.

There seems to be some problems with 2.15CE (in network card recognition too)and your post directed me to where the patches can be got. Good enough and the patch makes the alsa wizard work as it should. Fine, but it does not affect the 2.15 not getting my card . I still have no sound and I am still trying to correct this. You want to knock me thats fine . Post it in the other thread I have posted and we will continue and in the meantime someone knowledgeable may turn up to give me a clue how to fix my problem

bobn9lvu

#21 Post by bobn9lvu »

Could you give the MOB type, or better yet the sound chip???
I have also run into a problem with some VIA mobs with same problem , including display problems...

Bob 8)
[color=blue][size=150][b]Puppy Linux - [/b][/size][/color][color=red][size=150][b]Lift your leg at Redmond.[/b][/size][/color] :P :twisted: :P

tytower

#22 Post by tytower »

The board is a PCChips Hsuen...whatever M810 LR-H board and the sound chip I think is SiS. I have its number on another distro so will post back when I can

Dont find any numbers when I look but
The Manual says

AC'97 Codec
Intel AC'97 v2.2 spec compatible
Supports 16 biy ADC and DAC as well as stereo full-duplex codec
Supports 4 channel DAC for 4 channel speaker out.

I notice in Suse 10.2 the driver seems to be snd-trident

Edit Solved see other post -thanks for replies