BootIt error msg after boot: can't mount Puppy filesystem

Using applications, configuring, problems
djohnston999

BootIt error msg after boot: can't mount Puppy filesystem

#1 Post by djohnston999 »

I don't think this is on the same topic but may be related. I use BootIt boot and partition manager to handle my different OSes. Anyway, after doing a reboot of Puppy 1.0.3 or 1.0.4, either from a shell or from the GUI and returning to the boot manager, if I check Puppy's partition, I get an error message "can't mount the file system". If I boot into Damn Small Linux or Kanotix and run a file check on the Puppy partion, (e2fsck) then return to the boot manager again, the file system is fine, and the boot manager shows the number of bytes in use and number free for the partition. For the record, Puppy is the only distro I use which has an ext2 filesystem. Damn Small has ext3, Kanotix and Suse have Reiser3.

I don't honestly know how to troubleshoot this, so I thought I'd mention it so the experts can work it out. It doesn't seems to hurt the ability to actually run Puppy, but it could be a concern (later on)?

I'm likin" Puppy more and more every day. Just updated from 1.0.3 to 1.0.4. I do see some minor cosmetiic changes, but most are probably "under the hood", as you said.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

Have you tried using Grub as your boot loader, it should be easy to configure the menu.ls to boot your other O/Ss.

djohnston999

#3 Post by djohnston999 »

Technically, GRUB is the bootloader for Puppy. That is, GRUB is installed to the Puppy partition (hd1,1). The main bootloader passes control to GRUB and then GRUB boots linux image file.
The problem I was referring to isn't with the bootloader, it's with the ext2 filesystem state after doing a reboot from the shell or from fvwm95.