x810 does not work on Intel 815 (Solved)

Please post any bugs you have found
Glitchman

x810 does not work on Intel 815 (Solved)

#1 Post by Glitchman »

OK, I'm completely lost here. I tried something similar in previous versions of Puppy with no success. Now in Puppy 1.04, I downloaded xi810-4.3.0v2-xkbd: Xi810 Kdrive server via PupGet in hopes of finally being able to get 24-bit color in 800*600 resolution. After downloading it, I restarted fvwm95, but I still do not see anything added to the Start menu. If I attempt to change the video resolution in Wizard Wizard, I am greeted with the following:
The Xvesa Kdrive X server is the default for Puppy, however
is not currently running. The current X server is: Xi810.

If Xfbdev, the framebuffer Kdrive X server is running, select
the Xfbdev Video Wizard from the menu -- that Wizard has the
option of switching back to the default Xvesa server.

Click OK button to exit...
Well, it simply isn't there. No Xfbdev anywhere. So I figured I needed to exit back to a prompt and restart X.

BIG MISTAKE.

Now I cannot start X period. I rebooted. Same results. I ended up having to boot back into Windows 95 and delete pup001 and start over. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.

Bancobusto

#2 Post by Bancobusto »

I think that you got the wrong package.

If so, the same thing happenned to me. The actual package that you need seems to be missing :cry:

Look here http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=1333

Hope that that helps! :D
Freedom isn't just a Puppy-Linux forum member!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

I haven't actually tried the Xi810 kdrive X server, but when it installs, it changes the link:

/usr/X11R6/bin/X

to point to

/usr/X11R6/bin/Xi810

You won't get anything different in the menu.

This server is not the framebuffer server, that's a different beast.

Anyway, to fix things, just relink:

# cd /usr/X11R6/bin
# ln -sf Xvesa X
# xwin

Glitchman

Still no dice, several versions and months later

#4 Post by Glitchman »

Solved? I wish. I have done everything in the post that Bancobusto linked to, but I get similar problems that the others have. I have to Control-Alt-Backspace after clicking the Install_alien_pkg since it hangs at "Processing please wait." I can reboot and go through the options, attempting to select something higher than 800*600*16, but to no avail. I even selected 60 Hz to be on the safe side. I figure, surely, there must be a way to get decent options since I can get better resolutions and colors in Windows for Workgroups on the same PC....

I hate to give up on Puppy as a suitable replacement for Windows after tinkering with it most of this year, but some things just aren't meant to be, I suppose. Now that the recent versions of Puppy are looking too XP-ish, I have to turn off all that eye-candy as if I were on XP. That used to be what attracted me to Puppy -- its simplicity. Oh well. I'll still hang on to trusty Puppy 1.03 for the sole purpose of easily transferring stuff from Windows NT to Windows 95. The forced 60 Hz refresh rate in Puppy is too much of an eye strain for me to use Puppy for any extended period of time.

Sorry guys. I really do appreciate the help I have received on this forum, and I was glad to help others on the few occasions when I could. It has been a fun learning process. It's just taking too much time away, trying to get things to work right when I really do need to do other things. Perhaps I will one day find the right Linux distro to break me away from the dependence of Windows. Puppy almost made that happen for me.

MU

#5 Post by MU »

Glitchman

One last attempt at making Puppy usable

#6 Post by Glitchman »

OK, I am giving Puppy one final try since I have some spare time to kill today. I am in the process of downloading xorg682c.pup from the link you provided. What will I need to do with this file? Thanks.

Glitchman

Xorg682c.pup does NOT work. Vertical lines only!

#7 Post by Glitchman »

After spending an hour downloading the xorg682c.pup file, I booted into Puppy 1.06, double clicked the file, and allowed it to install. After restarting fvwm95, I saw that it added a DotPup menu near the top of my Start menu. So far so good. Then I decided to exit to a prompt and get back into xwin...

BIG MISTAKE

All I get now are vertical lines across the screen, alternating between white, red, green, yellow, and blue. I had to Control-Alt-Backspace out. I typed reboot, thinking that this might fix it. Nope. Same thing.

Is there truly no hope of getting Puppy to give me some decent video options on an Intel 815?! Is there anything else I can try?

MU

#8 Post by MU »

Your Computer will now start with the Vesa-module, 800*600 pixel resolution.
You can change these values with an editor in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Use the Editor "mp" on the commandline (CTRL-A opens the Menue).
Replace "vesa" with "i810" there.

Or run xorgconfig

Mark

Glitchman

Yes! It works at last! No more headaches...

#9 Post by Glitchman »

Thank you so much. I am now posting from Puppy in 1024*768 resolution with 24-bit color and a good refresh rate (I cannot tell exactly what it is, but my eyes tell me it's at least 75 Hz.) :) Now I can finally use Puppy for longer periods of time without hurting my eyes. As an added bonus, the Caps Lock and Num Luck keys no longer require 4 presses to toggle on/off (that bug exists by default in all versions of Puppy since 1.04.) This effectively killed two birds with one stone! Thanks again.

Now here's a weird glitch: The fonts in 800*600 resolution have now shrunk in some places compared to what they used to be in 800*600 under the default (Xvesa) video driver. In fact, they are actually SMALLER in 800*600 than they are in 1024*768! Basically the menus in all programs are affected and it's also very noticeable when I type in Leafpad. Fixing one thing breaks another. Oh well. I'll live with that for now....

MU

#10 Post by MU »

Hi,

please read the messages in the x.org-thread for tips.
GuestToo wrote:
i found the fonts were very small
there are a number of ways to change the font size

putting something like Xft.dpi: 108 in /root/.Xdefaults works
Greets, Mark

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Congratulations, Glitchman, on sticking with it until you got it to work!

Yours was a common problem. Would you mind writing up a detailed howto summarizing what you did that worked (and didn't)? :lol:

Glitchman

More side effects...

#12 Post by Glitchman »

Sure I'd like to; however I am noticing more side effects that I would like to resolve first (before I can call it 100% success.) I have fixed the fonts so far (I find a setting of 75 to be closer to what it used to be, rather than 108.) Now the mouse wheel no longer works (although I can still middle click.) I have tried all the mouse options in xorgconfig, but none detect the wheel so far. Given the choice between having a mouse wheel or a good resolution / refresh rate, I'll live without the wheel temporarily....

In addition to the lack of a mouse wheel, I cannot reboot or power off Puppy cleanly anymore without a kernel panic. Both of those problems are minor compared to the resolution / color / refresh rate issues I used to have, so it's still a work in progress.

MU

#13 Post by MU »

Here is my mousesetting for a logitech standard usb-mouse.
Important for the wheel is

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Code: Select all

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

Identifier	"Mouse1"
    Driver	"mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "ImPS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/usbmouse"
   Option          "Buttons"               "7"
# Mouse-speed setting for PS/2 mouse.

#    Option "Resolution"	"256"

# When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment
# the following line.

#    Option "Protocol"	"Xqueue"

# Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice. In
# almost every case these lines should be omitted.

#    Option "BaudRate"	"9600"
#    Option "SampleRate"	"150"

# Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice
# Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)

#    Option "Emulate3Buttons"
#    Option "Emulate3Timeout"    "50"

# ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice

#    Option "ChordMiddle"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection
Mark

Glitchman

Fixed the PS/2 scroll wheel. So far, so good...

#14 Post by Glitchman »

Actually, I just recently looked at pakt's config file on page 4 of the 2nd link you provided. Adding the following line did the trick for me on my standard PS/2 Microsoft IntelliMouse:

Code: Select all

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"           # Enable the scroll wheel
Even the rebooting problem seems to have mysteriously fixed itself. Anyway, now that things are working pretty well, I'll work on writing a HOWTO, detailing what worked (and what didn't) for me.

Time to make some backup copies of my config files before I forget...