Wifi with wg511t

Booting, installing, newbie
cruzin

Wifi with wg511t

#1 Post by cruzin »

I just re-did my computer drives, fresh 98se, booting puppy and windows with grub from hard drive. Puppy2.12 running on my thinkpad t21 256 meg ram 20 gig hdd.
Im configuring puppy now. Have my ethernet internet working (rj45) but I cant get my wg511t to work. I was told in a post that madwifi is builtin puppy 2.12. I cant find it or make it work. When I run the network wizzard it only sees my eth0 and NO ath0. I ran modprobe ath_pci and it comes back
FATAL : MODULE ATH_PCI NOT FOUND
so thats as far as Im getting. I downloaded madwife the latest, used pupget to install it. but i must have installed it wrong.
can someone tell me where madwifi should be installed? or how to use the one within 2.12 puppy. thanks in advance

Shagbag

#2 Post by Shagbag »

Isn't madwifi a kernel module? If so, isn't it just a case of:

Code: Select all

depmod -a
modprobe madwifi
(I don't have an Atheros-based card so I can't be more specific).

cruzin

#3 Post by cruzin »

that reply is way above my knowledge. I can try that command but I dont know anything about the kernel. I had the wireless working at one time, and I did so many things to get it going I dont know which one worked. But the command modprobe ath_pci gets me a no such device answer. thanks for trying ill post back if I get positive results.

cruzin

#4 Post by cruzin »

I ran the above codes.

depmod -a came back ok- no errors
modprobe madwife
module not found

modprobe ath_pci
fatal: module ath_pci not found

I wonder if I have all drives set up ok. I dont have a llinux swap yet if that would make a difference. I dont know.

I have read some docs that came with the madwifi driver I downloaded, sound like its a beta and warns that it has bugs. I dont kow how I got it installed before I have no experience instlling anything in puppy. I used get pup I think to install but I didnt know where to install it. So I dont believe its right. I found the read me files for wifi with geany at /readme
so I think its right at the top.
It instructs for building madwifi for a different kernel you type some commands that I dont understand. I think I need to know what kernel puppy 2.12 is running. Ill have to research that also.

Shagbag

#5 Post by Shagbag »

OK. It's always difficult to tell how new or experienced someone is with linux without throwing a few commands at them, so I'll try to be more specific from now on.

Firstly, I'd like to point out that It's madwifi not madwife, so you'll need to run the commands again.

If you still get a 'module not found' error then the chances are you do not have the madwifi kernel module on your system at all, ie. what you read on the forum about 2.12 having built-in support was either wrong or you misinterpreted it. The same goes for the ath_pci kernel module. To install either of these it's best to use DotPup or PupGet if possible. I've never needed these wifi modules so I don't know if they're in the official Puppy repositories that you access with DotPup/PupGet. If they are then use them as it's always better to use the binary files from the official Puppy repos rather than compiling the source code yourself because someone has already done the compile configuration for you with the binaries from the repos.

You can check to see what kernel modules you have installed by looking in the /lib/modules/<your kernel version number> directory, where '<your kernel version number>' is the output from uname -r (see below). For example, on Puppy 2.13 'Star', the full directory path is /lib/modules/2.6.18.1 as 2.13 uses the 2.6.18.1 kernel. There are various subdirectories which you will also want to explore to check to see if the kernel modules you are looking for are on your system.

Btw, in case you didn't know, a kernel module is the same thing as what M$ Windoze calls a device driver. The two terms are interchangable.

As to your question on swap space, the absence of a swap partition or swap file (either will suffice - Windoze uses a swap file, btw) it's unlikely to be a problem if you have at least 256MB of RAM.

As to what kernel version you are using, you can find this out by running:

Code: Select all

uname -r

Finally, another possible solution to your problem is to upgrade to Puppy 2.13 'Star' which was released yesterday. It has much more support for wifi built-in, so it might be the panacea to your current wifi problem.

*EDIT*Having snooped around my Puppy 2.13 'Star' directories I came across the /etc/networkmodules file which contained the text:
ath_pci "pci: Support for Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards"
This suggests to me that, as your WG500T is PCMCIA and not PCI, the ath_pci driver may not work for you anyway.

Furthermore, this from the Puppy 2.13 'Star' release notes:
In Puppy 2.12, the 'modprobe' binary executable was renamed to 'modprobe.bin' and 'modprobe' is now a script. This script will transparently fetch kernel modules, firmware and associated executables from a separate file called 'zdrv_xxx.sfs'. I have fixed some bugs in the 'modprobe' script and improved the speed of loading modules.
Ndiswrapper, which allows Windows XP wireless network drivers to be used in Linux, was broken in Puppy 2.12. I have upgraded to Ndiswrapper v1.33, which fixes the problem.
What this says to me is that you are MUCH better off upgrading to Puppy 2.13 'Star'. At least with 2.13 you can use ndiswrapper.

cruzin

#6 Post by cruzin »

Im looking into 2.13, and I appreciate the help. I mispelled madwifi in my post, but also has happened before! thanks