How do I use existing LILO for dual-booting Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
gabbman

How do I use existing LILO for dual-booting Puppy?

#1 Post by gabbman »

I have installed Chubby-Puppy to my HD. My hard drive is partitioned as:

hda1 - 12500mb - PCLinuxOS - Lilo bootloader to MBR
hda5 - 1152mb - Swap
hda6 - 5000mb - Chubby-Puppy (looks like overkill on hard drive space)

During the install to hda6 I choose not to allow grub to be my bootloader, and made a floppy.

I would like to keep Puppy on my hda6 and have lilo remain the bootloader, so my question is, what files off the floppy do I copy to hda6, and where?
What edits are required in initd, or anywhere else?

Once they are in place I will be able to edit lilo to dual boot.

Thanks in advance.
cheers - gabbman
Linux, The Desktop of Choice

raffy

Floppy may not be needed

#2 Post by raffy »

You can edit lilo.conf to add booting to the Puppy partition. Command lilo afterwards to save the changes. [Edit for Flash: Do this in the Linux OS that installed lilo. If I remember right, lilo.conf is in /etc and lilo is in /usr/sbin. Try the commands "which" or "whereis".]

Or reinstall Puppy with grub to MBR - it detects partitions and provides a pointer to each. [Edit for Flash: This is based on my experience - am not too familiar yet with grub though.]
Last edited by raffy on Fri 29 Jul 2005, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Raffy, do you mean that all gabbman needs to do is find lilo.conf (presumably somewhere in PClinuxOS) and edit it? No files need to be moved from the floppy to the hard drive, and nothing else needs to be changed in Puppy?

If he reinstalls Puppy, this time allowing GRUB to overwrite LILO in the MBR, will GRUB automatically recognize all the bootable partitions it can find in the computer and incorporate them into its (reconfigurable) boot menu? Is there a GUI in Puppy for configuring GRUB?
Last edited by Flash on Fri 29 Jul 2005, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.

Example LILO configuration

#4 Post by Guest »

This is what i have listed:
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
default="puppy"
keytable=/boot/livecd.ktl
prompt
nowarn
timeout=60
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/wmlinuz-2.6.11-oci12.mdk-i586-up-1gb
label="pclinuxos"
root=/dev/had4
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.11-oci12.mdk-i586-up-1gb.img
append=devfs=mount acpi=ht nomce splash=silentpsmouse.proto=imps"
vga-788
rad-only
image=/puppy/wmlinux
label="puppy"
root=/dev/hda2
read-only
other=/dev/hda1
label="win-xp"
I also have put a new directory called puppy and i put image vmlinuz in the new folder called puppy,you might have to change what dev/hda number is in your partition.thanks duke

raffy

Lilo or Grub?

#5 Post by raffy »

Thanks, duke. I guess that's quite an advanced version of lilo. Anyway, gabbman, using your Linux in partition 1, find and open lilo.conf and you will have an idea what's in there. Then browse over to the Puppy partition and locate the vmlinuz and image.gz files - you will need these locations for lilo. [Note that duke uses a wmlinuz/wmlinux names for the boot file, while Puppy uses vmlinuz.]
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

#6 Post by Guest »

Sorry about the typos, I'am just learning how to copy and paste. Below is the correct way with out typos,this is from PCLINUX 9.1 on a computer that is working fine. You don't need the image.gz works fine with out it.When you change your lilo config you will have to go to a terminal it will ask you for root password and then you type lilo then you exit. good luck

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
default="puppy"
keytable=/boot/livecd.klt
prompt
nowarn
timeout=60
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-oci12.mdk-i586-up-1GB
label="pclinuxos"
root=/dev/hda4