Virtual Terminal Bug? (Ctrl+Alt+F1)

Please post any bugs you have found
Bancobusto

Virtual Terminal Bug? (Ctrl+Alt+F1)

#1 Post by Bancobusto »

I was in the proceess of learning what all this business of virtual terminals was all about, and trying things out along the way. It seems as though pushing Ctrl +Alt + F1 will get me to a pupppc prompt, so I continued cycling through the keys, but couldn't end up getting back to the GUI.

I tried pushing Ctrl + Alt + all of the F keys individually, to no avail.

Am I missing something? Or is this a bug. I don't know, because that's just the state I'm in. But I figured I'd share this with you all anyhow.

Cheers :)
Freedom isn't just a Puppy-Linux forum member!

#2 Post by Guest »

There is only two virtual terminals in puppy, have a look at /etc/initttab

This is based on 1.0.3

Puppy boots to VT1 which is 'eaten' when starting the Xsession therefore leaving VT2 as your next console, VT3 (ctrl-alt-f3) is the vterm for the Xsession

Bancobusto

#3 Post by Bancobusto »

Thanks for the info

Is there a way then of switching back to the X environment? If I press Alt + Ctrl F2, I get taken to a promt, but I can't seem to get taken back to XWindows, no matter what I do! Alt + Ctrl + F3 doesn't bring me back - does it for you?

Just curious- I'm glad that puppy doesn't have a whole ton running at once, as that was where I was going in my mind, trying to turn some off....

Please help, am just rather curious.

Cheers, bladehunter, and if I may say so, you've done a hell of a lot for Puppy, and I always appreciate your posts, you're doing a great job! :oops:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

type

xwin
or better still
xstart
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Bancobusto

#5 Post by Bancobusto »

Thanks, but by doing so won't I start up an entirely new Xsession?

Can't I get back to my original session, if I'm simply "visiting" the other terminal?

Guess I just don't understand, really....

Thanks all, for your help.

:D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

:o

OK I understand the question now . . .
rxvt is a terminal which runs inside Puppy
but when you go to the full screen terminal
you close down the X-windows system

The reason is perhaps similar to unmounting a device
you are making a clean break with that device

That means it is less likely to be hijacked by [insert the usual culprits]

In the olde days of Linux everything was done from the command line without
a windowing system [shock horror]
This was my first experience of Linux. Getting an xwindows system was a battle between me and the SIS graphic chip. Very briefly I won . . .

more details:
http://peace.wikicities.com/wiki/HolyGeek_Linux_Report
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

#7 Post by Guest »

Ooops...forgot I'm running my XFree version of Puppy-1.0.3....maybe someone running a standard version of 1.0.4 might be able to elaborate...

But yeah you're right it doesn't let you back to your xsession.......I'll say it may have something to do with the kdrive xserver

Bancobusto

#8 Post by Bancobusto »

Lobster, so many questions, not enough time!

Thanks for the link..... have it boookmarked for further perusing......

Welll, it's not that big a deal... but it's worked in Debian, Arch, and Vector without having to typr xwin or startx.. ability to move from one VM to another without hassle is what iwas assuming, no big prob...

Thanks all......

Cheers :twisted:

#9 Post by Guest »

but when you go to the full screen terminal
you close down the X-windows system

Nope that's not correct, there definitely is a prob switching consoles with the kdrive xserver...Come to think of it I remeber that behaviour a while ago but did not think it was worth commenting on.

Other xservers have no problems switching from an xsession to a console and back again.....ctrl-alt-backspace will kill an xserver but ctrl-alt-fx should not.

Bancobusto

#10 Post by Bancobusto »

I thought so too.... Not that big a deal, i guess, at least at this point.....

:P :P :P :P

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#11 Post by Lobster »

:oops:

Pah!

Despite all my best efforts I still do not know what I am on about . . .

thanks guys - seemed to remember that Knoppix (or Debian as it becomes when installing to HD) could jump between xwin and root terminal (or whatever it is called)

Could this problem be solvable once we move over to bash fully or am I still making up my own stories?

back to the basics . . .
http://focus.aps.org/story/v9/st33
Last edited by Lobster on Thu 28 Jul 2005, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

#12 Post by Guest »

ditch the kdrive xserver....have a min install of XFree86 or XOrg just to support vesa then have extra modules as dotpups...eg i810 i815....beauty of that too is that you will be able to connect to remote X desktops as well.....

Bancobusto

#13 Post by Bancobusto »

hmmmmm.....

although it doesn't seem to have much of an impact with yer everyday user...

don't know how important this really is in the scheme of things,,,,

(shut-up banco, yer above yer head...)
Last edited by Bancobusto on Fri 29 Jul 2005, 05:21, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Flash »

bladehunter wrote:ditch the kdrive xserver....have a min install of XFree86 or XOrg just to support vesa then have extra modules as dotpups...eg i810 i815....<snip>
Wouldn't that get you away from the 'Puppy just works' philosophy? Or might it be possible to have some sort of wizard run as part of the installation process, which would automagically download the right dotpups for whatever hardware it saw? How would that work for the live-CD version of Puppy? After all, to me the live CD is the main attraction of Puppy. It's all I use. I haven't installed Puppy to my hard drive, although I do have a large pup001 file on my hd. Upgrading to the newest version of Puppy is as easy as burning the new iso and booting it.

#15 Post by Guest »

bladehunter wrote:
ditch the kdrive xserver....have a min install of XFree86 or XOrg just to support vesa then have extra modules as dotpups...eg i810 i815....<snip>
Wouldn't that get you away from the 'Puppy just works' philosophy? Or might it be possible to have some sort of wizard run as part of the installation process, which would automagically download the right dotpups for whatever hardware it saw? How would that work for the live-CD version of Puppy? After all, to me the live CD is the main attraction of Puppy. It's all I use. I haven't installed Puppy to my hard drive, although I do have a large pup001 file on my hd. Upgrading to the newest version of Puppy is as easy as burning the new iso and booting it.
Well considering kdrive doesn't support i810 or i815 above 800x600 it's just about the same except more easily extended....At the moment I'm running a modded version of 1.0.4 where I deleted ALL of the original X stuff, just leaving the fonts and installed XFree86 by hand...(with just vesa,i810 and neomaigc drivers) usr_cram.fs is up by about 8meg and I've allowed 16MB for the initrd...but I was able to get up to 1600x1200 on the machine I have the i810 gfx chip on.......I've had it all the time but it was doing duties as a router\firewall\access point...tho now I'm looking at trying to reduce the usr_cram.fs by striping some binaries

Bancobusto

#16 Post by Bancobusto »

Right on.

I've had much better luck with Xfree86 when it comes to running videos full screen, for example....

Would love to be able to do that successfully in Puppy....

Good work, and I look forward to following your progress

:P