how to ftp with virtual machine

Booting, installing, newbie
singlewc

how to ftp with virtual machine

#1 Post by singlewc »

Sorry gang, I posted this inquiry in the wrong place earlier. I think it belongs here instead.....

I am using Puppy v2.12 in a MS Virtual PC session, and since there are no additions for linux to allow local access, I guess I need to use ftp to access partitions on the host system (win2K)

I understand ftp and stuff, but don't know how to go about doing this particular setup. Heck, I don't even know how to find the IP address of my puppy install in the VM Smile

I have a broadband connection that is active in the VM, and uses a NIC on the host system. The puppy networking is NAT via the VM, but I get no response when I try to ping the host system based on the Windows ipconfig command.

Do I set up the ftp server on the host, and just put and get from Puppy. Does Puppy include a server? What is the puppy command that would equate to the ipconfig in windows?

As one can see, I am not sure how to proceed, so any pointers, faqs, or suggestions would be appreciated.

And, for those who see all the details, I noticed in my errant post, that I had a sig file that uses my middle name of Mark, but I usually sign as my first name, John.

Sorry, nothing evil or malicious intended or anything like that......Maybe mom ought not have given me two useful names..<g>

John

Erik Veenstra

#2 Post by Erik Veenstra »

QEMU-Puppy [1] comes with its own FTP-Server. The documentation
[2] explains why the combination of FTP-Servers and virtual
machines (masqueraded machines in general) is a problem.

You can probably use ftpserver_qemu.exe that comes with
QEMU-Puppy in combination with any masquerading virtual machine:

c:\> ftpserver_qemu -a 127.0.0.1:21212:%IP%

... where %IP% should be replaced by the IP address you use to
connect to the host from within the virtual machine.

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/

[1] http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/index.html
[2] http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/index.html#6.1.1

JohnMc

VMC

#3 Post by JohnMc »

Singlewc,

I don't think you need to do anything quite as drastic as doing ftp for a host to VMC instance. There is an option in the VM instance to utilize 'shared space'. ie, a host-VM share. What I can't recall at the moment is if you can enable that thru setup or it must be done when you install the new VMC. My gut says during install. But alas my VPC host is at work and I am replying from home.

No matter. But essentially that opening would give you two avenues to test out:

1) If it is a true CIFS share then LinNeighborhood would get you into the space.

2) If it is an exposed volume only (no share) then MUT should permit you to mount it.

Please post your results, I would be interested in hearing how it comes out.

singlewc

#4 Post by singlewc »

I will be happy to share whatever I find out, if I can talk someone into pointing me to some faqs or sources of info on linux networking.

Wizards are great, :-) but now I have to 'get under the hood' and learn how to check and test my IP config, deal with the NIC, etc, so once I can learn what the network looks like from Puppy, I can deal with talking to windows, I hope....

Thanks a lot

JohnMc

Let's give it a shot....

#5 Post by JohnMc »

Ok,

Your VMC instance should act just like Puppy physically if you selected the defaults when you created the VM.

In the puppy instance:

open the 'console' on the desktop. Type in ifconfig <enter>. You should get a readout. One of them should be a IP: xxx.yyy.zzz.000. So long as it doesn't start with a 169..... address you should be ok. Ping some local address to see if you can get out.

next try a route -n and see what the address table spits out. One should be a default gateway address if your lucky.

Ping the default gateway address to see if you can get there.

And if you want to get real fancy try traceroute to an internet address. It should give you a hop table.

quickest way to understand any of them, just type the command with no IP address. This will force the command to provide a help display. A nice beature of busybox.