Where are the rcN.d files?

Booting, installing, newbie
kjs

Where are the rcN.d files?

#1 Post by kjs »

After I found out that none of the provided file managers have a usable find routine (they seem to only look in the currently open directory) and searching for quite some time in the directory tree I gave up.
I assume that Puppy uses the rc0.d to rc6.d files too but I can't find their directory.....

Has anybody here an idea where they are hidden?

The reason I need their location is that I want to run Puppy in a virtual VMware machine first and to enable the hardware support I have to install their tools which need the location of these files.

Thank you!

Juergen

trapster

#2 Post by trapster »

gtkfind seems to find everything I ever look for. Type it in a console or find it under the menu.

But...those 2 files don't seem to be in my puppy. (212)
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

Puppy has a more unique bootup system than most distros. Most other ones are based on eachother, but Puppy was written from scratch. It starts in the initrd.gz file with the script 'init' (/sbin/init in that file, /initrd/sbin/init in the normal filesystem). Then it goes to the files in the rest of the filesystem, in /etc/rc.d/, starting with rc.sysinit. I don't remember the exact procession from there, but it's documented in /etc/rc.d/README.txt.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

rarsa

Re: Where are the rcN.d files?

#4 Post by rarsa »

kjs wrote:The reason I need their location is that I want to run Puppy in a virtual VMware machine first and to enable the hardware support I have to install their tools which need the location of these files.
There are a few posts that explain how to run puppy under VMWare.

I'd recommend searching the forum.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

Chronis

#5 Post by Chronis »

The rc0.d to rc6.d directories must be manually created before starting to install the vmware tools, I believe.

In the absence of a compiler it simply omits a few things such as drag-and-drop of files and an improved network driver, but it should still install the video and mouse driver which are the important ones imho.

The newest versions of puppy have Xorg 7 which seems to cause the vmware tools to fail installing, if it is vmware tools from VMWare Workstation. The tools from VMWare Server should work, I read.

kjs

#6 Post by kjs »

Thanks for the replies! I had tried the things mentioned here (I usually do i-net and forum search before I post) but none of them worked for me (VMware Workstation 5.5.3, the one which doesn't have the latest USB support and won't have USB under SuSE 10.2).

Just went with an easier but more space consuming solution: stone age 1.2GHz Athlon XP mobo with 896MB RAM, same age 4.3GB HDD and an old CD drive in an outdated medium tower case. Puppy works like a champ on it, almost as fast as SuSE 10.2 on my 3GHz AMD64......... Who said it doesn't make sense to keep all the old stuff? (naturally my wife!)

Juergen

Chronis

#7 Post by Chronis »

I was successful with installing VMware Tools in Puppy 2.13 , as mentioned ealier the tools included with a recent version of VMware Server seem to work, while tools included with VMware Workstation 5.5.1 seem to have a problem with XOrg 7.

The first time starting Puppy 2.13's Xorg in VMWare produces a black screen.
As mentioned elsewhere it is necessary to key "spacebar spacebar enter" two times (after waiting for the HD indicator to settle down) to get the desktop to show up. Exiting to prompt after this also produces a black screen, this first time using Xorg in a 2.13 system. Having said that I'll try to put the process in simple steps.

It seems that it is possible for the install script to have an error if it finds certain evidence of previous attempts at installing, or if it is using the same directory for too many things. I had been starting over with a fresh image or fresh install, if the script failed once.

This assumes Puppy was just installed to a HD, & omits the 'save data file' step. I should add that I did the HD install using Xvesa at 1024x768, because Xorg starts in 800x600 and it's hard to see all the dialog buttons.

1. Get into Xorg for the first time using the ''space space enter'' trick
2. Exit to prompt from main menu, at black screen use control-alt-insert to reboot
3. After getting into Xorg again, exit to prompt. Text should be visable.
4. Get the VMWare Tools CD image available by going to the VM Menu and choosing Install VMware Tools
5. mount the CD image with "mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom"
6. extract tarball to home directory with "tar -xzf /mnt/cdrom/VMwareTools-1.0.1-29996.tar.gz", unmount the cdrom with "umount /mnt/cdrom"
7. enter the directory with "cd vmware-tools-distrib/"
8. make some relevant directories:
mkdir /etc/rc0.d
mkdir /etc/rc1.d
mkdir /etc/rc2.d
mkdir /etc/rc3.d
mkdir /etc/rc4.d
mkdir /etc/rc5.d
mkdir /etc/rc6.d
mkdir /etc/init.d
mkdir /etc/pam.d

8. execute the install script with "./vmware-install.pl"
accept default [/usr/bin]
accept default [/etc]
accept default [/etc/init.d]
accept default [/usr/sbin]
accept default [/usr/lib/vmware-tools]
accept creation of directories [yes]
accept default [/usr/share/doc/vmware-tools]
accept creation of directories [yes]
accept running configuration script now [yes]

answer "no" when asked if there is a C compiler installed, unless you have already installed the C compiler program and required files.
Answering no produces a warning that the vmhgfs module, for sharing folders on the virtual machine, will not be installed. Press [Enter] to continue. It also produces a warning that the vmxnet module, for fast network interface, will not be installed. Press [Enter] to continue. Network operations all still function.

answer "/usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules" when asked for the location of the directory which contains your XOrg modules.

choose your screen resolution and the script is finished.

9. run "xwin" or reboot the system to enjoy your new mouse freedom, it is safe to delete /root/vmware-tools-distrib with "rm -rf /root/vmware-tools-distrib"

The configuration of the tools can be changed at any time with "vmware-config-tools.pl" at any prompt. The toolbox can be invoked with "vmware-toolbox" at any prompt. If the XOrg screen resolution is changed while XOrg is running it may require restarting X to effect the change.

Thanks for everyone's hints and help with figuring this out.