2.12: Mozilla pupget didn't work, broke SeaMonkey

Using applications, configuring, problems
jonyo

#31 Post by jonyo »

Ok & thx,
Here's the deal so far. Have upgraded to ver 2.13 live cd & went pretty smooth. On first boot, lost my desktop icons but a reboot solved that.

I did NOT press enter when I put in;
ln -sf /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6 /usr/lib/mozilla (in ver 2.13)
I just rebooted

So I'll have to do it again & press enter this time & then reboot.

Don't think I have to worry about this part:
("If you created a wrong symlink /usr/lib/mozilla , you must delete it first, or you cannot create a new one.")
as I did not press enter. Good thing too :D .. as I have no clue what a symlink is, nor a Rox-filler. :shock: :?

At any rate puppy live CD is humming on this Acer 2420 laptop (wifi via onboard card), with the upgrade to 2.13. Only main prob is 'd like to get seamonkey back (works fine in other computer setups) at some point.. as time permits. After all.. I have other puppy setups that also need attention :D Some of the others have much bigger problems than this one :(

Ahhhh puppy's :D 8)

Merci beaucoup..pour maintenent. Letude continue.
MU wrote:
sh-3.00# ln -sf /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6 /usr/lib/mozilla
that is for Puppy 2.13.
I think you have 2.12, that has seamonkey 1.0.4

So you must alter the comand to
ln -sf /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.4 /usr/lib/mozilla

Look up in Rox-filer, how the folder is called exactly.
Important:
if you created a wrong symlink /usr/lib/mozilla , you must delete it first, or you cannot create a new one.
Mark
Last edited by jonyo on Tue 23 Jan 2007, 15:02, edited 6 times in total.

MU

#32 Post by MU »

Rox-filer is the filemanager that opens, when you click on the home-icon on your desktop.

A symlink is a reference to a file (or folder).
For example create a textfile
/root/test.txt

Now enter this command in a consolewindow, it creates a symlink:
ln -s /root/test.txt /root/new.txt

Now there seems to be a new file "new.txt", but if you open it in your texteditor, test.txt is opened.

Symlinks play an important role in Linux-installations to deal with different versions of a program.
Mark

jonyo

SOLVED

#33 Post by jonyo »

BINGO :D It worked :lol: :!:
Typed in;
ln -sf /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6 /usr/lib/mozilla (still haven't figured out copy & paste in console :oops: )
pressed enter, (nothing changed in console but prompt came up again) & looked like this:

sh-3.00#

rebooted & YES :!: :!: Seamonkey is back in action :D

This is the info that come up under help in seamonkey:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.8) Gecko/20061220 SeaMonkey/1.0.6

This message sent via seamonkey. Many thxs' to all :!:

Now running live cd 2.13, upgraded from live cd 2.12 & seamonkey's back in action.

Now..how does one change the subject & add the word SOLVED :wink: (tried to but didn't quite work out the way I intended..)

Interesting also is that on another 'puter (desktop) that I updated to 2.13 live cd..2 browsers are crashing; :shock: seamonkey & firefox, but appears to be stable on this one.

On to fixing the other one.. :D
MU wrote:
that is for Puppy 2.13.
I think you have 2.12, that has seamonkey 1.0.4

So you must alter the comand to
ln -sf /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.4 /usr/lib/mozilla

Look up in Rox-filer, how the folder is called exactly.
Important:
if you created a wrong symlink /usr/lib/mozilla , you must delete it first, or you cannot create a new one.
Mark

kchance

Help get SeaMonkey back

#34 Post by kchance »

I have the same problem as this fellow.
Puppy v2.13
Tried to install mozilla 1.85b, and after install from PET, neither SeaMonkey, DillO nor Mozilla work. I did get Opera to work. When I execute

# ln -sf /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6 /usr/lib/mozilla[/code]

then reboot... nothing changes. I know now to backup.
Any help as to how I can get SeaMonkey and DillO web browsers back will be appreciated.
Thanks