Xquest old DOS game

Play with your Puppy.
veronicathecow

Xquest old DOS game

#1 Post by veronicathecow »

Anyone remember Xquest, very playable and addictive old DOS game.

You can down load it free here.
http://www.swallowtail.org/xquest/
I am using the most excellent Rudy Puppy which has Dosbox installed and I just copied the unzipped files to the "C:" that Dosbox creates and just ran the exe file and it just works!

To quit game press escape and follow instructions, then type exit in the Dos box to close that down

Enjoy
Tony

amish

#2 Post by amish »

thanks veronica, it's great to see dos in linux. have you tried commander keen 1 (shareware) in dosemu? i normally use dosbox, but dosemu is my new toy. see my comparison in the dosemu thread in this subforum.

i thought that i might be able to try xquest in dosemu, but i read this on the site:
New! The Source Code to XQuest is available. Note that this source code is for a slight variation to XQuest, but it should still compile and run and will be useful for those who've been asking how the game works.

XQuest 2 will run quite happily under Linux DOSemu, provided that you add the line "ports {0x201}" to your /etc/dosemu.conf file. Isn't that nice? Of course, you have to run it without sound, and XQuest without sound is like a Mac without a 3rd story window: not nearly as much fun!
so maybe i'll try dosbox first. i'll let you know what i think of the game :) not much of a gamer tho.
sadly, it is not possible to separate politics from free software. free software - politics = unfree software.