version updates

Booting, installing, newbie
Scoticus

version updates

#1 Post by Scoticus »

I am seeking guidance on how I can work with the current versions of programmes.

I was looking at what is available on version 2.13 and found that there were 2 choices of Opera both version 9.02 and Open Office was being offered as version 1.1.4. Currently there is advice from OO that all users should use version 9.1 as there are insecurities on earlier versions.

How can I ensure that I can work with the most up to date versions. Do I download the versions on the CD and then what, or is there a way that the current versions can be loaded/overwritten to the disk.

I do not wish to be left in an insecure situation and wish to start off on the right foot with Puppy.

Thanking you for your assistance

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

First:
You'll soon find out that most of the "insecurities" apply mostly to Windows.

Second:
The versions provided as pupgets are just for simplicity. One click install.
If you want the latest versions you can either wait for someone to package it as a dotpup (You can find both Opera 9.10 and the most recent OpenOffice in this forum) or download it from the official Opera or OpenOffice web site and install it manually.

For opera It's really simple.
1. Dowload the Xandros version as a tar.gz file
2. Open rox and click on the downloaded file and extract it
3. From the console execute the install file (something like "./install.sh")

For OpenOffice:
1. Download from the web site
2. Extract somewhere that is not a FAT partition.
3. Execute "soffice" from the extracted program/bin directory

I use both most recent versions and never takes me more than a minute after they've been downloaded.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

Scoticus

Version Updates

#3 Post by Scoticus »

Many thanks rarsa

You have clarified matters to my satisfaction and while I appreciate that insecurity is Windows middle name I have to come and go between Windows 2000 & XP at the moment and will have to do so for the next 2 or so years. I therefore want to be properly armed and not harmed by Microsoft.

You advise I can find both Opera & OO on the site. I found that I could not and using the search only overwhelmed my with posts which did little or nothing in identifying with my search.

I am totally new to Linux and am taking a cautious approach not wanting to run before I walk and hope that I can fall into the logic of the search engine.

Once again my sincere thanks for your assistance

WhoDo

Re: Version Updates

#4 Post by WhoDo »

Scoticus wrote:You advise I can find both Opera & OO on the site. I found that I could not and using the search only overwhelmed my with posts which did little or nothing in identifying with my search.
Scoticus,

Download and install the Puppy Software Installer (PSI) from here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=10960

You will find that both Opera 9.10 and Open Office 2.0.4 are available for installation there at the click of a button - as is a whole host of software for other purposes.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Scoticus

Version updates

#5 Post by Scoticus »

Many thanks WhoDo

Am I right in thinking that the link provided is not directed to Muppy-006 but is a specific download installer which will work on any version 2.13?

I ask this as in my closing port to Guidance required I advised :

“I took Ian's advice and downloaded Muppy only to find that although it would boot there came a point early into the cycle that a YES answer had to be given but I could not give this as it appeared that it would not accept my keyboard/mouse. I was forced to power off to exit Muppy.

Perhaps this could be looked at sometime.

MU

#6 Post by MU »

The installer is not limited to Muppy, I used it in Puppy 2.11 and 2.12-
I did not test it in 2.13 yet.
It is marked as Beta, as it does not yet support all options I want, but it works so far.
Mark

WhoDo

#7 Post by WhoDo »

MU wrote:The installer is not limited to Muppy, I used it in Puppy 2.11 and 2.12-
I did not test it in 2.13 yet.
I am using PSI under 2.13 and it works just great!

Thanks again, Mark.