Installed 2.02 to hd; MUT does not show my CD drive

Booting, installing, newbie
nksaini

Re: Help -- my CD drive is missing

#16 Post by nksaini »

Dougal,

After making the test.sh executable it is working. I rebooted my computer and did not run Pmount. Then run the sequence of commands suggested by you, as in the following output of rxvt:

cd /root/my-documents/downloads
sh-3.1# ls
megapup003.pup test.sh
sh-3.1# chmod 755 test.sh
sh-3.1# ./test.sh before

<<Run Pmount at this point and CD-ROM drive icon was visible there>>

sh-3.1# ./test.sh after
sh-3.1# ls
errors-after megapup003.pup results-after test.sh
errors-before results-before
sh-3.1# tar czf test-results.tgz results-before errors-before results-after errors-after
sh-3.1# ls
errors-after megapup003.pup results-after test-results.tgz
errors-before pdf results-before test.sh
sh-3.1#

As suggested, I am attaching the test-results.tgz with this message.

Please guide me further. Thanks for your help.

PS:

It seems I can not attach rest-results.tgz -- perhaps due to .tgz extension. So I am attaching it in .rar format (test-results.rar). This archive is created with WinRAR under Windows 98.
Attachments
test-results.rar
test-results.rar is created with WinRAR under Windows 98
(9.08 KiB) Downloaded 175 times

nksaini

Puppy 2.0.2 crashes when Gparted is used

#17 Post by nksaini »

Dougal,

There is another problem that I faced while using Gparted. It may or may not be due to Gparted, but I suspect so because I experienced 2-3 times each on three different machines. Here is what happened in each case:

(1) I booted off Puppy 2.0.2 CD and X was up and running (I tried both Xorg and Xvesa) and intended to instally Puppy permanently on the Hard Disk on ext3 partition along with Linux/Swap partition. All three machines were having 128 MB ram, so about 5-8 MB was available (two machines were sharing video memory out of main memory). Either unused space was available for creating Linux partition or one Primary/Extended DOS partition was to be formatted at Linux ext3/Swap.

(2) I used Gparted and the window would open and start scanning all drives. At this time, before scanning is completed and drives/partitions displayed on the screen, the system would freeze (neither mouse, nor keyboard would respond and there was no Hard Disk activity). I waited up to five minutes for things to recover but nothing happened. Finally a Reset was the only course. Same thing happened 2-3 times on each machine.

(3) Then I used Pdisk (cfdisk 2.12q) and it partitioned the hard disk without any problem. Once Pdisk partitioned the disk, Gparted too was able to complete the 'scan' and the display the disk(s) and partitions in the window.

(4) Using Puppy Universal Installer to install Puppy on the free partition created above was quite easy and trouble free in each case.

Perhaps this post should have gone as a separate post but I hope it may help someone trying to install Puppy on the Hard Disk. May be Puppy was designed primarily to boot from the live CD (and it does it very good) and the capability to install it on the Hard Disk was an additional feature. But I love Puppy a lot. Perhaps it is the best choice for someone used to Windows world and wish to try out Linux.
Last edited by nksaini on Tue 19 Jun 2007, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.

Dougal

#18 Post by Dougal »

I don't know about Gparted and all that.

My tests didn't find any difference.
I looked at Pmount and the only two things I saw that could be changed when it runs are:
1) it might create /mnt/hdc if it's missing (unlikely)
2) it runs a command named dvdrw+something that might (in some convoluted way) get something to wake up/notice your hdc...
Try looking for that command in Pmount (/usr/sbin/pmount) and run it in a terminal

Code: Select all

command /dev/hdc
and see if that make a difference to MUT.
I'll try and look in the MUT code and see if I can find anything but can't promise I will -- I don't know Tcl/Tk.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

nksaini

Pmount can see my CD-ROM drive, MUT can't

#19 Post by nksaini »

Dougal,

Thanks a lot for your help all along. /usr/sbin/pmount is an executable file and I do not know much about any programming language. So I will leave it for the time being and explore other features of Puppy Linux. I can still use Pmount, MUT was just an extra feature. Perhaps someone who more about MUT might notice it some time and may be able to do something about it.

Dougal

#20 Post by Dougal »

C'mon, you're panicking for no reason… /usr/sbin/pmount shows up as "executable" since it doesn't have a ".sh" at the end and it's mode is executable… it's just a shell-script, using the same commands as the command-line.

Anyway, here's what you need to run:

Code: Select all

dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/hdc
Try it after you've booted, then run MUT and see if it recognizes the cd-drive.
If it works, you can just add that line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local and it will run at every boot.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

nksaini

#21 Post by nksaini »

Dougal,

Yes! It did the trick. Now CD-ROM is accessible in MUT (without having to run Pmount first) even after a fresh boot. The output of rxvt, when I run the code, is:

sh-3.1# dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/hdc
INQUIRY: [LITEON ][CD-ROM LTN486S ][YKS4]
:-( not a DVD unit
sh-3.1#

Now I have modified the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local to look like below:
#this file called from rc.local0
#you can edit this file
#When firewall is installed, will append lines to this file...
#The following line was added by nksaini to make MUT work
dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/hdc
#nksaini
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall ]; then
/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall start
fi

I re-booted my machine and tested that now MUT is showing my CD-ROM drive on the first attempt, as it normally should and there is no need to run Pmount first any more. Thanks a lot, Dougal.