A Question About Network Printing

Booting, installing, newbie
rcrsn51

A Question About Network Printing

#1 Post by rcrsn51 »

Can Puppy #1 access a printer connected to Puppy #2? I know how to set up CUPS for local printers and I have accessed a remote printer on a Win box with Samba, but how do I do the same thing between two Puppies?

davec51

Re: A Question About Network Printing

#2 Post by davec51 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Can Puppy #1 access a printer connected to Puppy #2? I know how to set up CUPS for local printers and I have accessed a remote printer on a Win box with Samba, but how do I do the same thing between two Puppies?
I don't have an answer to your question, but you may have an answer to one I have had for a long time: Please tell me just what settings on SAMBA you used to access your Win printer?
I have a network set up, I can access files, etc. but somehow I can't get it to print.

barriew

#3 Post by barriew »

davec51

Check out this thread - if I've managed to copy it correctly. It worked for me!

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=12196

Barrie

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

davec51:

The link that barriew gives in the above post is also what I used to setup networked printing to a Windows box through samba. In particular, see the posting by JB4x4. However those instructions assume that you already know how to configure a local printer under CUPS before you attempt networked printing.
If you still need more details, post back and I can give you some.

everyone else:

I want to go Puppy to Puppy to Parallel Port. Is this even possible? I may have read somewhere about a Linux version of samba that would turn Puppy #2 into a print server.

pakt

Re: A Question About Network Printing

#5 Post by pakt »

rcrsn51 wrote:Can Puppy #1 access a printer connected to Puppy #2? I know how to set up CUPS for local printers and I have accessed a remote printer on a Win box with Samba, but how do I do the same thing between two Puppies?
It is extremely easy to print from a local Puppy PC to a remote Puppy PC with a working printer! All you need to do is to install CUPS on the local PC and the remote PC's printer will show up as a choice to print to on the local PC - that's it 8)

If you use my CUPS dotpup to install CUPS to your local printer, just choose to install a network printer, then interrupt the installation at the point where the CUPS browser interface shows. You don't need to define a printer since it is already defined by the remote PC.

Works much easier than in Windows :P
Paul
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

That was simple! I didn't realize that the CUPS daemon also advertises itself as a network printer. Once I got the two machines synchronized correctly, the printer was detected automatically. Thanks pakt.

pakt

#7 Post by pakt »

:D
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux