you can look at a file from the command line by typing one of these:

less /tmp/xerrs.log

more /tmp/xerrs.log

cat /tmp/xerrs.log

mp /tmp/xerrs.log

if PuppyPin is blank, you won't have much of a desktop

jonyo

#17 Post by jonyo »

PuppyPin is definately blank. Tried it out on another computer & folder opened up fine.

Any thoughts on what happened? (maybe ran pup to hard :oops: )

I think a major crash. All I remember was dowloading a ton of stuff with Pupget, ton of things open & running & setting things up. Think I was in open office & desktop went away. I think I may have dowloaded to much at one time & perhaps reboots along the way might be the way to go. Also this was an upgrade from Live cd 2.12 to 2.13.
'Puter's a amd anthlon 64 3500 with 1;5 gig of ram.

Started over & everything's humming :D

jonyo

#18 Post by jonyo »

Bummer, same thing just happened, again (lost the desktop). Gonna have to take a break from that 'puter.

This laptop seems to be ok so far & pretty much doing the same thing with it.

It's nicely setup..right now. 8) (like I'm trying to do to the other one :? )

MU

#19 Post by MU »

if you run from CD, you have the original file in
/initrd/pup_ro2/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/

You can copy it to
/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/

Mark

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#20 Post by GuestToo »

some dotpup packages change some of the system files, like the pinboard file or menu files ... my dotpup packages usually do not touch Puppy's system files ... if the package is buggy or incompatible with that version of Puppy, the system file could be corrupted

this might happen with pupget packages too

the desktop is set in .xinitrc ... the pinboard file has an absolute path:

rox -o -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin

so the pinboard file that configures the desktop is in /root/Choices ... the desktop is not set from a pinboard file in /root/.config, whether Rox 1.2 or Rox 2.5 is being used

so the original default PuppyPin file could be copied from /initrd/pup_ro2/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin to /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/

the way .xinitrc is written, if Rox 1 is not installed and Rox 2 is not installed, then the desktop will not be started, and the background setter program will not be run ... maybe that is what was intended

i think i would write that section like this:

if rox -v | grep -q 'Filer 2' ;then
rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
[ -f /root/Choices/ROX-background.jpg ]||setrox2backdrop
else
/usr/local/Puppybackground/puppybackgroundmenu saved &
/usr/sbin/fixPuppyPin /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin #v1.0.7
rox -o -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
fi

Sage

#21 Post by Sage »

Thanks for that G2. None of the other suggestions worked for me except yours. Seems we need a small mod. here?

jonyo

#22 Post by jonyo »

Thinking back, here's all I did.
Started up & setup (fresh, not an upgrade) live cd ver 2.13 wifi. Downloaded opera with pupget & rebooted. Everythings workin out.
(Btw, what is the 'Opera _STATIC_QT' ver about'?)

Next package was the full open office suite available, missing files, images & English dictionary (think there are 4 alltogether.)

Rebooted & couldn't get RutilT to run.

Rebooted & lost my desktop, this time it just went black (it was worse last time). This is the only 'puter (desktop) that i've had this problem on.

Laptop has all of the above.. plus more & is humming.

Don't know how to fix this problem & didn't have it with 2.12 so I think I'll go back to 2.12 on the desktop..& see what happens.

jonyo

#23 Post by jonyo »

<snip>
>the original default PuppyPin file could be copied from /initrd/pup_ro2/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
-------------------------------------------------------------
tried that & tried this part
------------------------------------------------------
>/initrd/pup_ro2/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/
-------------------------------------------------
Both ended up to empty folders . Confirmed that by trying the same thing on this laptop & same folders had stuff in 'em. Startin fresh but with 2.12.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#24 Post by GuestToo »

the PuppyPin file is in /root/Choices/ROX-Filer ... it is not in /root/.config and never was

jonyo

#25 Post by jonyo »

Think I understood that part. Point I was trying to make was that either option led me to folders that had nothing in them, to work with & an inop desktop (hapened twice with 2.13 on the same computer).

Also had nothing backed up (as I haven't figured it out). Just tried it a few times (save to cd) on 2 diff computers & doesn't seem to be working

Not having anything important in the (2.13) setup, just decided to start with a fresh setup.(2.12) that did not crash the desktop, on this particular computer.

2.13 seems to be ok on others & 2.12 is ok on this one..so far.

jonyo

#26 Post by jonyo »

Not sure what's going on here anymore but puppy live cd ver 2.13 is happy & humming..mostly :D

Started with 2.12 but ran into some re boot up prob (hanging & stuck) & Xorg :?

So, went with 2.13 upgrade & 'pute loaded up. :!:

So far..humming 8) Just firefox is crashing :x..but I did fiddle with it). Save file (bkup2cd backup to CD) to cd's not working for me (or haven't figured it out :? ), so just copied the save file..figure..better than nothing.

Started with pupget firefox 2 this time & started to crash after loading a flash plugin (think). Figured out how to get swiftfox goin but..comes & goes.
Tried out Flock but..crashing also :(
Pupget open office upgrade..good to go :D