Puppy as an IPX/SPX file server + FTP-server?

Booting, installing, newbie
Seamonkey

Puppy as an IPX/SPX file server + FTP-server?

#1 Post by Seamonkey »

Hi! I have tried Puppy on my Dell laptop and to my surprise I actually liked it! Now, the thought struck me, maybe I should replace my W2K on a PIII -server with Puppy and get some space over for files and a bit more power? But...my ISP won't let me use file sharing over TCP/IP so I have solved this by running IPX/SPX for local file transfers. I could use a router instead of a switch but then I wouldn't be able to use the full 100mb line which I'm very happy to have. The routers I have tried (reasonably priced) just can't handle that speed.
Is it possible to get IPX/SPX working with puppy? I'm also going to use Puppy as an FTP-server but I guess that won't be too much trouble.

Todd

#2 Post by Todd »

I looked into IPX/SPX because, if I understand correctly, it is the protocol that Novell uses. However, in doing my research, I found that IPX/SPX was purposely removed early in the Puppy development process.

Todd

Seamonkey

#3 Post by Seamonkey »

OK, thanks! Is it possible to manually install IPX/SPX in Puppy?

JohnMc

Might be radically simple to do.

#4 Post by JohnMc »

Go do a man page on ifconfig. You will note that it is possible to modify the aftype of the packet sent/received for the interface. So a little bit of bit twiddling with the command should allow you to tun on IPX. If you can get it to go manually then you should be able to script it into a rc start up file to default to that packet type.

Seamonkey

#5 Post by Seamonkey »

That was a bit over my head but thanks anyway! I'll use the info when I get that far :wink:

JohnMc

#6 Post by JohnMc »

Seamonkey,

Really shouldn't be too much of a challenge. Take a look here -- http://www.hmug.org/man/8/ifconfig.php. Now what is being suggested is you fire up rxvt and at the command line issue the following:

ifconfig eth0 address_family 192.168.1.1

as an example.

Now address_family would be something like IPX. But check Puppy's man page it might be "IPX/SPX' or "IPX-SPX". Varies somewhat with OS. And obviously the IP would be whatever you want to use for the IP, it does not have to be what is listed.

FYI, address_family is pretty broad if you went out and looked for the listing. Some that come to mind are AX.25, DECLat, ArcNet, PackTor, etc.

You would lose that configuration change when you powered down. That's why the comment in setting up an rc script.

Good luck!