Pet Get download outside of Puppy.

Using applications, configuring, problems
purple_ghost

Pet Get download outside of Puppy.

#1 Post by purple_ghost »

Where are the Pet Gets hiding if I need to download one outside of Puppy.

I have some problems with the dialer and my ISP. I can get on using kppp with Adios and Mini-Knoppix. My ISP people told me last week they were having problems. They were going to give up the Windows system and start using... Linux.

I found the kppp as a dot pup on the .de site. It requires a library file. libqt-3.3.x. I found one on the .de site that is for local use... ??? I am not sure it is going to work like that.

Thanks for the info.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PetGet will be available integrated in Febuary

#2 Post by Lobster »

PetGet will be available integrated in Febuary 2007 aprox in Puppy 2.14
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy214

Use these Dotpups for now
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/DotPups
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

purple_ghost

Lobster please correct me on this.

#3 Post by purple_ghost »

You are suggesting that I can not use the kppp I got from .de site. What I would have needed to use that would be the Pet Get libqt. Libqt would be, I think, easy to get if I had puppy running online.

Anyway. This brings up another mistake of mine. Lobster please correct my post on: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14576

I am not sure what to say about that one now. I am guessing it is a matter that I was looking at Dot Pups that are not correct for Puppy 2.13.

Thank you for your correction.

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

What until now were known as "pupgets" are here:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... packages-1

If you download one of them, you can run Pupget (or PETget now, I guess) and choose the "install local package" option when that comes up. Point it at the package you downloaded, and it should install.

If you download a file named .pet, you can just click it and it will install. The PETget system is still being implemented though, so there aren't many yet.

Sorry I can't be more specific. I'm still in 2.12, and haven't had time to sort out in my head what Barry has and hasn't done with PETget yet.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

MU

#5 Post by MU »

I made the kppp dotpup for people who use a small KDE that does not contain it already.

A minimum of KDE libraries is required:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=11673
Mark

purple_ghost

kppp errors off

#6 Post by purple_ghost »

MU. I had seen the (above mentioned) post before made my first post on this subject. Good you mentioned it though.

In the last few days I have been seeking to figure out what my problem is with kppp.

AFter I could not get kppp to install with Puppy 2.13.

I downloaded Muppy007-212

When I go for the install of kppp I get a red background box that says:

Error Not enough free diskspace .
You have- MB but needed are !

I think this is the same error message I get from Puppy 2.13.

I guess I should learn how to build a Dot Pup anyway. This would be a good place to start. Perhaps I should actually start by building a Dot Pup of all of KDE. If I am to use the Dot Pup for KDE, I must download go the University Library and download it on an XP computer. Does not show up to be available that way. Wow. are the University computers fast. I Downloaded the six CDs of Open Suse 10.2 and burned them onto CDs in less than two hours.

I still have not found another copy of libqt.

Would be easier for me to get a new ISP. Ha ha ha ha ha. Then I could simply go back to using the Puppy Gkdial.

MU

#7 Post by MU »

I wonder about the error - but kppp anyway should be part of Muppy007.
Also libQT.

Start - KDE menu - internet - kppp

Ahh no, does not run... I must have a closer look at the menu-import, some KDE-programs do not run from it.
Workaround: drag
/opt/kde/bin/kppp to your desktop.

Mark

purple_ghost

Works; kppp from desktop.

#8 Post by purple_ghost »

Dragged the kppp icon onto the desktop as Mu recommended. Immediately dials in, the first time I entered the correct user names. Which was the second time I tried. Ha ha ha ha.

If I have not been clear. Gkdial has always worked for me in the past. What has changed is something with my ISP. I know they are trying to get more numbers to allow log in, as well as they are going to install Linux on their server in place of the Windows product.

I wonder if it is a timing thing with Gkdial I could adjust. I am not willing to spend a lot of time worrying about it,

The question which remains. How to find/ download Pet Gets / Dot pups when one is not able to log in with Puppy Linux..

I would guess that I should not try to get unleashed through a dial up account. I do not think the University would allow me to boot Puppy onto their computer in order to get Puppy Unleashed. In my case I should simply send Barry a few dollars for unleashed. After so much use. I surely owe him. For newcomers...????

Anyway. My sending Barry a few dollars for Puppy Unleashed will have to wait a few more days. I have eleven days until disability is paid and I have about eleven dollars left.

Mu. Thanks for Muppy and the advice.

purple_ghost

Kppp connects at very slow speed.

#9 Post by purple_ghost »

Today. Jan. 23, 2007 I just finished getting Kppp working with Muppy007-212.

As Mu advised me as to get Kppp working:
Workaround: drag
/opt/kde/bin/kppp to your desktop.

Reference:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14608

I spent another four hours trying to find out why Kppp connected at such a slow speed.

I did a manual configure for Kppp. Where it asked for a connection speed I let Kppp set a default speed. Which was a very fast speed. Kppp was also smart enough to know that was too great a speed for my external serial, U.S Robotics 56K Modem. So it connected at 9600. Dead slow.

I changed the speed to be something that my Modem should do. 44000.

The next connection was ran much faster. I am still not sure exactly what the speed I should choose.

The notes I saw on other Linux forums suggested that if the speed I chose was too fast. Then the connection would be unstable. The computer would spend a lot of its resources handling error codes. Someone else suggested that the speed was in a code that was passed back to my modem from my ISP. ?????

I am not a documentation person. I am not sure where this little hint about how to set up Kppp ought to be.

I do know it took me hours on a slow crawling connection to find out the answer. I hope no one else has to do that.