How to hook up PPP in Linux - Tech Info

Helping keep Puppy well documented
Mic67

How to hook up PPP in Linux - Tech Info

#1 Post by Mic67 »

http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html#ISPWant

The info maybe somewhat dated but could be of interest or use to some.

* Initial Setup
o Modem
o Logging
o Resolver
o No Default Route
o PPPD Module support
+ 2.0.x kernels
+ 2.2.x kernels
+ 2.4.x kernels
o PPP Options
* What does ISP Want?
o Immediate PPP
o Which Authentication?
o Login Authorisation?
o PAP/CHAP
+ Types of CHAP
+ Setting up PAP/CHAP
o Connected?
o Connected!
* Testing Connection
* Various Possible Problems
* Automation
o SUID
o Scripts
o Security
* Stopping PPP

"The key problem in hooking up a PPP link to an Internet Service Provider (ISP) is that the ISP's seem to compete with each other as to who can find another obscure way of authenticating users. Thus we have login, PAP, CHAP 05, CHAP80, CHAP80-lanman, CHAP81, ... and combinations of these. The chief difficulty of connecting to an ISP is discovering which technique is actually being used by the ISP in an orderly way. Since few of them know anything about Linux, and since few of them even understand what technique they actually use, this procedure should allow you to set up without their help, or to understand what their help means if it is given."

"Hostname
One final item, especially for Redhat systems, make sure that your give your machine a name (any single word name you want). You can set it with
hostname <yourhostname>
But you also want to change it permanently. In Redhat/Mandrake, put the line
HOSTNAME=<yourhostname>
into /etc/sysconfig/network. On other systems I am not sure, but you could always put the hostname command at the end of your rc.local file. This is not essential to running ppp, but if you do not do it, you will find yourself unable to run any X application while running ppp."

purple_ghost

Kppp connects at slow speed.

#2 Post by purple_ghost »

Today. Jan. 23, 2007 I just finished getting Kppp working with Muppy007-212.

As Mu advised me as to get Kppp working:
Workaround: drag
/opt/kde/bin/kppp to your desktop.

Reference:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14608

I spent another four hours trying to find out why Kppp connected at such a slow speed.

I did a manual configure for Kppp. Where it asked for a connection speed I let Kppp set a default speed. Which was a very fast speed. Kppp was also smart enough to know that was too great a speed for my external serial, U.S Robotics 56K Modem. So it connected at 9600. Dead slow.

I changed the speed to be something that my Modem should do. 44000.

The next connection was ran much faster. I am still not sure exactly what the speed I should choose.

The notes I saw on other Linux forums suggested that if the speed I chose was too fast. Then the connection would be unstable. The computer would spend a lot of its resources handling error codes. Someone else suggested that the speed was in a code that was passed back to my modem from my ISP. ?????

I am not a documentation person. I am not sure where this little hint about how to set up Kppp ought to be.

I do know it took me hours on a slow crawling connection to find out the answer. I hope no one else has to do that.