Puppy on USB Flash partition?

Booting, installing, newbie
confuzzled

Puppy on USB Flash partition?

#1 Post by confuzzled »

I don't know if this is possible, I've searched these forums and the wiki, and I've just tried to do it but it won't work. I want to partition my usb flash drive so that puppy and all of its files are in one partition and my files are kept in the other (hopefully bigger) partition. I am using puppy-2.12 and I want to add devx and java. I can get puppy to boot from the flash drive if I don't partition it. I'm not being very clear, but I think you can work out what I'm trying to say. Can I do this? if so, how? and what size partition should I have for the puppy partition? thanks

Todd

#2 Post by Todd »

What you need are the following files:

initrd.gz
pup_213.sfs
syslinux.cfg
vmlinuz
zdrv.213.sfs

syslinux.cfg is a file that I created with a text editor. It contains one line:

default vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 initrd=initrd.gz PMEDIA=usbflash

Also, you make the usb bootable with syslinux.exe (see below).

If I were you (and I do this myself), just leave the USB as one partition, but put a folder where you keep all your files, etc. The USB has to be a FAT partition (not FAT32). Also, if you are using Windows, use the format utility that comes with Windows, not the one that came with your USB.

Todd
Attachments
syslinux.zip
(17.43 KiB) Downloaded 196 times

confuzzled

#3 Post by confuzzled »

why do you say that you can't use fat32? I've used it succesfully as well as ext3 although I've found that even with ext2IFS windows doesn't seem to want to read it.

Todd

#4 Post by Todd »

The last time I tried was Puppy 1.07. I guess I should try again.

Todd

Speed Dragon

#5 Post by Speed Dragon »

I have problems booting Puppy by USB Flash.

I have a Verbation 256MB (red stick), and when i boot show a message say "linux" cound't be found (SYSLINUX)

When i type "vmlinuz", it loads kernel, and show a Kernel Panic error, something abount mount error or something. I anyone help me ?